Pinnacle studio/ no mpeg

Hello all:
I have Pinnacle studio 9 but it wont allow me to use the mpeg format to
capture video. Ive tried the activate window but it wont work. Any
advice beside try another software :)

<REMOVEvexedviking@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:407AA3D1.B3230B6@shaw.ca...
> Hello all:
> I have Pinnacle studio 9 but it wont allow me to use the mpeg format to
> capture video. Ive tried the activate window but it wont work. Any
> advice beside try another software :)

I don't use Studio 9 but I've used Studio 8 and a couple of other tools
(Canopus, Ulead) and in general one doesn't capture directly to MPEG
because (a) it requires enough CPU horsepower to do the compression
that it's impractical in real-time on most PCs/Macs and (b) MPEG compression
is lossy, so one wants to do one's editing, FX, etc. *before* doing the
MPEG encoding. I would imagine that Studio 9 captures to some uncompressed
AVI-like format, and that MPEG conversion is a post-processing step
("Save As", "Export To").

Colin

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002

"Kevin D. Kissell" <deletethisspamtrapKevinK@paralogos.com> wrote:

><REMOVEvexedviking@shaw.ca> wrote in message news:407AA3D1.B3230B6@shaw.ca...
>> Hello all:
>> I have Pinnacle studio 9 but it wont allow me to use the mpeg format to
>> capture video. Ive tried the activate window but it wont work. Any
>> advice beside try another software :)
>
>I don't use Studio 9 but I've used Studio 8 and a couple of other tools
>(Canopus, Ulead) and in general one doesn't capture directly to MPEG
>because (a) it requires enough CPU horsepower to do the compression
>that it's impractical in real-time on most PCs/Macs and (b) MPEG compression
>is lossy, so one wants to do one's editing, FX, etc. *before* doing the
>MPEG encoding. I would imagine that Studio 9 captures to some uncompressed
>AVI-like format, and that MPEG conversion is a post-processing step
>("Save As", "Export To").

Yes, Studio 9.1.2 can capture direct to mpeg, but mostly creates an
avi file first (I haven't discovered how it chooses). Either way, if
the video clip is longer than about 10 minutes, then the mpeg creation
hangs Win XP up solid after a few minutes.

> Yes, Studio 9.1.2 can capture direct to mpeg, but mostly creates an
> avi file first (I haven't discovered how it chooses). Either way, if
> the video clip is longer than about 10 minutes, then the mpeg creation
> hangs Win XP up solid after a few minutes.

.... which has nothing to do with Win XP, btw. I can capture MPEG files
with other applications for hours and hours.
Generally Pinnacle Studio 9.1.2 is still instable when it comes to MPEG
editing - not recommended.
Martin

"Martin Doppelbauer" <Martin.Doppelbauer@t-online.de> wrote in message news:<ccc9d4$cki$04$1@news.t-online.com>...
> > Yes, Studio 9.1.2 can capture direct to mpeg, but mostly creates an
> > avi file first (I haven't discovered how it chooses). Either way, if
> > the video clip is longer than about 10 minutes, then the mpeg creation
> > hangs Win XP up solid after a few minutes.
> >
> ... which has nothing to do with Win XP, btw. I can capture MPEG files
> with other applications for hours and hours.
> Generally Pinnacle Studio 9.1.2 is still instable when it comes to MPEG
> editing - not recommended.

What are some good programs for mpeg editing? I'm having some sync
trouble with Womble (altho I'm feeding it .vob's in those cases). Any
other programs I can start with .vob's, do some editing (transitions,
audio over-dubbing) and be able to output mpeg 2 with no problems?
Stranglely, the project plays perfect in the timeline, when i EXPORT i
GET SYNC PROBLEMS (on and off)

Thanks is advance

STRATEGY