[SOLVED] Pins broken on HDD

ndirishkmk

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
I was trying to add an old HDD to my new build as a second hard drive. Unfortunately, I found that there is a broken pin (possibly 2). Is there any way to fix this? Or at least rig something to get the data off?

For reference, this is a Hitachi 2TB HDD Part Number 0F10629

Thanks!

USAFRet

Titan
That doesn't sound promising. Never soldered before in my life!
What I would do is take the SATA connection block off an old busted drive. Like the one sitting on my desk right now.

Then, pin for pin, a wire between the drive in question and this sacrificial SATA connection block. Careful soldering.

SATA cables to this block should cause the drive to be readable. Power up and copy off what data you can.

(actually, I would just recover the data from my backup and not worry about "fixing" this busted drive)

ndirishkmk

Reputable
Mar 25, 2018
Depends what pins are missing. The wrong one not being connected may fry the whole PCB.
Okay thank you! It is the first and last pins that are missing. The inner ones are intact. I don't think there's much on there as it was from an old computer that just was used for my taxes (which are backed up in the cloud.. phew!). Debating on plugging it back into that old computer to see if I can find anything else on there that I need though!