[SOLVED] Pins keep getting bent on Ryzen 7 5800x ?

reaverschaos

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018
I picked up a ryzen 7 5800x to replace a ryzen 5 1800 and the pins keep getting bent on the 7 even after it got sent in for repairs.heatsink wasn't even put on when I tested the cpu so its not due to the pressure and I made sure it was facing the right way yet the pins are still getting bent while the ryzen 5 is being installed in the exact same way as the 7 and not having any issues what so ever. Am I missing something here or is this just bad luck? They are both am4 sockets board is a brand new b550 msi gaming plus

Last edited:
Solution
The CPU should drop into place in the socket with at most only very slight wiggling needed to help. If it doesn't, then somethings holding it back. I agree something could be wrong with your socket. A good high resolution picture of your socket under bright lighting might help.

Otherwise: run a credit card between each row and column of pins to straighten them all perfectly vertical and in alignment
are you sure of orientation? (Ryzen's writing/logo normally faces sideways as you face the mounted mainboard in a normal ATX case, vice Intel CPUs, which have the logo, etc., oriented where it can be read facing a windowed case straight on (were it not for the heat sink, that is)

I'd also check carefully that you were not given a fake...(check numbers of pins, blanks/gaps, pin orientation, etc...)

The CPU should drop into place in the socket with at most only very slight wiggling needed to help. If it doesn't, then somethings holding it back. I agree something could be wrong with your socket. A good high resolution picture of your socket under bright lighting might help.

Otherwise: run a credit card between each row and column of pins to straighten them all perfectly vertical and in alignment

Solution

reaverschaos

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018

The board I legit bought yesterday so nothing is stuck I'm buying a magnifying lamp and some tweezers to fix it but I don't understand why my other cpu is not having this issue I'm not putting it in wrong cause it can only go 1 of 2 ways cause of the socket type

reaverschaos

Reputable
Feb 13, 2018
No...it can go in only 1 way. Any other way will bend pins.

Align the corners with the tiny triangles on them...that's the only way.
What I mean by that is this socket has 4 squares so it won't work if it's sideways I matched the corners and I know when it's upside-down I've done many cpu installs but I've never had issues like this

The board I legit bought yesterday so nothing is stuck I'm buying a magnifying lamp and some tweezers to fix it but I don't understand why my other cpu is not having this issue I'm not putting it in wrong cause it can only go 1 of 2 ways cause of the socket type

How to Use Your Phone as a Magnifying Glass
Try this magnifying option meanwhile... and take a few pics of the bent pins.
This web page shows you how to use your phone to magnify and use a light to take clear up close images.

Last edited:
Reactions: drea.drechsler