Pioneer 116 Problem PLEASE HELP!

kujorulez

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
All the sudden, my BIOS does not detect my dvd drive correctly. I have a Pioneer 116 DVD ROM drive with WinXP. It worked fine all along, and then all the sudden two days ago i put an audio cd in to listen, and realized that my drive did not show up in my computer. In device manager, i can press refresh, and the drive shows up as this:
PIONEMR(D^D-ROM(D^D-196(

I have no idea what happened, and when my computer starts up, it detects it as something different than that (like XIRCOM something or another). Nothing works at all, i tried reinstalling drivers (which there are none really), and i updated BIOS, re-attatched the drive. I dont know what else to do. Any ideas would be GREATLY appreciated!!

Thanks!!

ath0mps0

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2002
This drive is a UDMA66 drive. Do you have the appropriate UDMA66-133 cable? I have seen this problem before when the drive is installed with a standard IDE cable on a UDMA66-133 motherboard connector. The BIOS inits it like a UDMA66, but it generates errors.

kujorulez

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2002
im not sure exactly..... i always thought all my [-peep-] was UDMA100, i may be completely wrong. The thing is my drive worked all along, and very recently just stopped working without making any changes to my hardware.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A couple of thoughts:

Perhaps the CMOS battery needs replaced.

Did you clear the CMOS after updating the BIOS, (by shorting the jumpers with the system disconnected from <i>all</i> power outlets) reload the optimal defaults, and then make your personal adjustments?

I saw a system recently that had a problems due to a failing capacitor on the mainboard ... this caused the devices connected to the IDE controller to be misidentified (and misspelled), and eventually inaccessible ... both in the BIOS and the Device Manager. It happened first with the primary channel, and a few days later, to all the devices on the controller. I don't know if this might be applicable in your case, but I thought you should be aware of it. It couldn't hurt to examine the board for any capacitors that might appear to be "swelling", or damaged in some way.

The drive itself could be the problem, also. Do you have another ATAPI device laying around that you could connect to the cable? And have you swapped out the cable, itself?

Are there any error messages in the Event Viewer related to the device or the IDE controller?

This could also be due to a problem with the PSU. Are you using a good, high quality PSU for your system?

Toejam31

<font color=red>My Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=6847" target="_new"><font color=green>Toejam31's Tantalizing Tantric Toy</font color=green></A>
<font color=red>Second Rig:</font color=red> <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=15942" target="_new"><font color=green>Toey's Dynamite DDR Duron</font color=green></A>

<font color=purple>"Procrastination on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part."</font color=purple>