Question Pioneer m.2 SSD

Darthradonis

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
I am having a PC built for me from the local PC place and he is suggesting i use a 1TB version of this Pioneer m.2 drive and there are hardly any reviews of it anywhere but it is super cheapr from him its under 100 bucks i think he quoted me 80 bucks for one of them. I just want to make sure i get a drive that is fast and reliable.

Darthradonis

Commendable
Feb 25, 2017
We'd need to know which drive it was.
Pioneer makes/made 2 different NVME drives. One uses 4 pcie lanes and the slower one only uses 2. I suspect for $80 that it's the slow one that I don't believe is being made any more.
Yea i was wondering why it was so cheap but even when i looked it up online or google not much came up. Also how much slower is it? Would i be better off getting a regular SSD instead. I know that m.2 NVME sometimes the difference isnt that much.

popatim

Titan
My philosophy is if you can get a larger Sata SSD for your money then go that route. As long as it's a fast SSD that is.
The difference between a sata SSD and NVME isn't that great from a user perspective.
This video demostrates using an NVME drive somewhat equivalent to the old Pioneer.