Pioneer Rolls Out Portable Blu-ray Drive

Status
Not open for further replies.

dyno_05

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2012
I herd really bad things about bluray on PC. People say your better off just buying a stand alone player because most bluray software isn't good. I bought a samsung external bluraydrive awile ago open boxed havn't used it yet to tell how the software is thou.

guvnaguy

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Blu-ray worked great on my HP. Incredible sound and quality.
That was until I upgraded to Windows 8 without realizing I would have to purchase a Windows-8 compatible version of the Blu-ray player software that originally came free with the computer. I guess when the upgrade price is only $40 you get what you pay for...

I'm curious to know how noisy this thing is, being external. My external HDD make a lot of noise when it spins. Definitely interferes with the puny sound systems of a laptop.

Soda-88

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2011
[citation][nom]guvnaguy[/nom]Blu-ray worked great on my HP. Incredible sound and quality. That was until I upgraded to Windows 8 without realizing I would have to purchase a Windows-8 compatible version of the Blu-ray player software that originally came free with the computer. I guess when the upgrade price is only $40 you get what you pay for...I'm curious to know how noisy this thing is, being external. My external HDD make a lot of noise when it spins. Definitely interferes with the puny sound systems of a laptop.[/citation]
http://www.videolan.org/
There you go. You're welcome.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]dyno_05[/nom]I herd really bad things about bluray on PC. People say your better off just buying a stand alone player because most bluray software isn't good. I bought a samsung external bluraydrive awile ago open boxed havn't used it yet to tell how the software is thou.[/citation]

Oh, they must have used Cyberlink crap.

Vladislaus

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Soda-88[/nom]http://www.videolan.org/There you go. You're welcome.[/citation]
Bluray on VLC is still in its experimental stage, and out of the box does´t work with encrypted burays.

g-unit1111

Titan

I use Total Media Theater and it sucks just as bad as Cyberlink. I tried playing a blu ray movie on my HTPC and the thing froze after the first frame. Add that to the $100 cost per license for playback software and you don't have a real cost effective solution for HD movie playback. I usually wind up watching the iTunes files.

[citation][nom]abbadon_34[/nom]Should have been USB 3.0, at 6x blu-ray its already maxing out the 2.0 in most real world situations.[/citation]

Exactly. That was my first thought as well. This makes absolutely zero sense. Very disappointing, and for me with a 3.0 capable 1080p laptop, a definite deal breaker. I have two Pioneer BD-RWs and they work phenomenal in a primary and backup gaming rig.

Status
Not open for further replies.