Pioneer turntable to Bose cinematic 15

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlight

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017
Can I connect my 1980's pioneer turntable to Bose cinematic 15? I heard something about an optical splitter could work? Thanks for any assistance.

Solution
You connect the TT to the phono input only.
There is a special circuit that the TT needs. It not only has more gain than is needed for line level sources it also provides essential EQ that all TT require (this is called the RIAA curve).
Many new TT have this built it. If you connect a turntable a different input it will have less volume and have almost no bass.
You connect the tape record out of the receiver to the aux input on the Bose speakers.
You won't be using most of the receiver but if you get it cheap then fine. Using a phone preamp would be simpler.
I would continue to connect my video sources via the optical connection directly to the Bose.
I bet you my life's saving (if I had any :D) a 1980 turntable knows nothing about nothing optical. Don't believe everything you read on the Internet.

Very simple. a 1980 turntable has a PHONO OUT, and it's meant to be hooked up to an amplifier/receiver jack labeled PHONO-IN. In the event that amp/receiver don't have PHONO-IN like most modern amp/receiver, you can insert an inexpensive PHONO PREAMPLIFIER, so:

Turntable -----> Phono Preamp -----> amp/receiver (LINE-IN/AUX/CD).

So your BOSE, MUST, MANDATORY have a LINE-IN/AUX/CD jack.

In a pinch, you can buy an Analog-to-Digital converter if your BOSE doesn't have the above but has Toslink-iNput.

dlight

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

The Bose speaker has an optical input, which is connected to my TV, a coax and analog L/R input. I understand turntable ---receiver, but then do I connect receiver to analog L/R on speaker? Can I use any of the other audio inputs on the receiver, like tape 1?

dlight

Prominent
Apr 24, 2017

Yes, they are inputs on the back of the speaker (soundbar). I still need to buy the receiver, but have found an old Sony STR-V35 with PHONO IN/OUT jacks. The manual for the Bose says you can connect to two systems, I.e. TV and DVD. So why couldn't it be TV and receiver? Blonde roots here.

You connect the TT to the phono input only.
There is a special circuit that the TT needs. It not only has more gain than is needed for line level sources it also provides essential EQ that all TT require (this is called the RIAA curve).
Many new TT have this built it. If you connect a turntable a different input it will have less volume and have almost no bass.
You connect the tape record out of the receiver to the aux input on the Bose speakers.
You won't be using most of the receiver but if you get it cheap then fine. Using a phone preamp would be simpler.
I would continue to connect my video sources via the optical connection directly to the Bose.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.