Pioneer's 400 GB Blu-Ray Disc Coming

Status
Not open for further replies.

cah027

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
Man I could finally clean up my external drive!!!! Plus Just think of putting say 90 standard def dvds on one of these!

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
well, the hvd is still being tested, as for 90 movies, thats way to small,, you could get upward to 800 if you use the h264 format.

hannibal

Distinguished
Well anything that can store whole TV-series in one disk is a good thing. I don't even know how many meters I have dvd's in my book shelf. A couple of these would take it all...

hannibal

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mtyermom[/nom]Whatever happened to the holographic disc technology we kept hearing about?[/citation]

I think that it is still coming. I am not sure how close of the upper limit of BR this is, but the holographic disc can take severals Terabytes of content, so it will offer even bigger storage. But if this really work with older BluRay eguipment it does have an advantage!

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Hitokage[/nom]Yeah.. just wait til you accidentally scratch the disk or drop it and it shatters. 400GB goes bye bye.[/citation]
yeah and its still phisically spinning media so writing 400Gig will take what 2, 3 weeks. I cant wait to fire one of these up on my 1x burner.

hellscook

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
I hope this catches on better and costs less than simple blank dual layer DVD discs did. Those still cost an arm and a leg despite being how old?

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
A. how much will it cost?

B. does this matter if adoptation of Blu-Ray continues to be so miniscule?

C. when they make 400GB blu-ray read/write disks, it will take a LONG to burn the full 400GB with current speeds. a 2x blu ray burner will write to a dual-layer disk in 90 minutes, a 1x burner would take 180. now imagine how slow writing 400GB would be, unless they develop 24x or faster blu ray burners very quickly.

I replaced all of my CD media with hard drives a long time ago. I don't think I'll drop the hard disk idea until SSDs become cheap and spacious. Never had a hard disk die on me - but I can't tell you how many times I've had to start over because of a damaged CD or DVD.

malveaux

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2008
Hrm,

I don't like that optical tech is catching up to HDD tech in capacity. Seems to me that if a cheap renewable 400gig disc can be had for less than a HDD, we havea problem.

Cheers,

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
I think I've got this right... From what I can find, 1x on Blu-Ray = 36Mbps

36Mbps / 8 = 4.5MB/sec

409,600 / 4.5 = 91022.222 seconds (repeating)

which I believe means that at 1x this disc would take 1.05 days to write (25hrs)

tipoo

Distinguished
May 4, 2006
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]a ridiculous price tag is emerging in the horizon.$600 for a dvd anyone?[/citation]

why would this drive up DVD prices?

smalltime0

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
[citation][nom]malveaux[/nom]Hrm,I don't like that optical tech is catching up to HDD tech in capacity. Seems to me that if a cheap renewable 400gig disc can be had for less than a HDD, we havea problem.Cheers,[/citation]
Well thats just prototypes ATM, they will be very expensive IMHO.
Also they still cannot compete in size (1 TB drives) access or write speeds or durability.

seatrotter

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008
Nobody really remembers the flourescing-dye based optical media?

Sure they made a blunder when they faked the demo on the showroom, but that didn't mean they lied. Now they are marketing the darn thing, only not for consumers though :(

Such a pity. The approach easily allowed hundreds of layers, meaning gigabytes and terabytes of data. It is also rewritable from the start, and practically scratch-proof (unless the scratch reaches and destroys the flourescing dyes).

*sigh*

liemfukliang

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2008
Let just hope it has better crc checking than any other optical driver. Because if it isn't than one tiny tiny tiny..... litte dust will make few GB data unreadable.....

G

I'd like to make a point- while its true the economy is crappy, I think one of the reasons why only a few stand alone BD players have sold versus the millions of PS3s is because those of us truly interested in the format are holding out for Profile 2.0. Once 2.0 players are within the 200 dollar price range, we will make those things fly off the shelves. This should then decrease the price even further, and the players will then shortly after become attractive to the mainstream consumer. I'm predicting that within three years, BD will have become more popular than DVDs.

enewmen

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2005
Media is lagging WAY behind the burners. I am sure future burners will burn 16 layers, etc. But there is no media to burn. B-R has been out for years already and it's hard to find a 50GB anyplace ; a box of 25 - 25GB disks are @299 at Newegg !!.
@ anon
I don't think BD players will ever sell well. People already have a large collection of DVDs and don't want to replace the big collection with expensive BDs (if the old movies even exist on BD). Also, normal DVD players keep getting better as well. They now have upscale to HDMI and USB ports to play off external HDDs to view MP3,Divx, and H.264 files.
By the time BD players are FINALLY cheap enough and mature, like you said, people will be carrying 64+ gig flash drives in their pocket. Stores will love to sell movies by having customers download content to the flash drives & PMPs, then the stores don't need to keep an inventory of disks (then back up to the 4TB media player if the DRM is good enough).
Blu-Rays will end up like the Laser-Disk with only a short life. Some geeks will still use Blu-Rays to back up home HDDs.
Anything is possible, but I don't see Blu-Ray going anyplace until media, players, and movies start getting a whole lot cheaper VERY soon.
2 cents..

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS