Pirate Party Bags Seats on European Parliament

Status
Not open for further replies.

-unknown-

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2009
While I agree with the need to reform copyright law, I wish the party had chosen a better name.
(in the sense that I'm sure a lot of people don't take them seriously just because of the name)

It will be interesting to see if their support continues to grow.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
That. Is. AWESOME! HAHAHA!!!

We need more of this type of behavior in the USA.
If ever there was a case for a majority government style parliament, this is it.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
We need a different method of representation at all levels of our government (in the US.) This all or nothing winner takes all system is ludicrous. It is literally impossible for something like this to happen in the US.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]jacobdrj[/nom]We also need an economist as a president, at least once...You'd think that would be a prereq to being the leader of the 'free world'.[/citation]
The definition of "free world" needs updating...

Woot to the pirate party.

SAL-e

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
[citation][nom]Ciuy[/nom]hahahha pwned ....I wana join the Pirate Party !!!![/citation]
[citation][nom]Kill@dor[/nom]Yes, we need this in the U.S. too!![/citation]

There is Pirate Party in US already.

http://www.pirate-party.us/

And it is much more then just about free file sharing. Basic principles of democracy are violated. The corrupted governments in EU and USA are voting for laws that allow private organization to open our private communication in order to protect private interests. For example in France they voted a law that allows to be kicked out of Internet for 1 year without court order based on unproved accusation for copyright infringements.
It is time to take actions if we want to call us "Free world" in the future.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
[citation][nom]Hanin33[/nom]nice pic to complement the article, Jane. cheers, me hearty! arrr![/citation]

I know, pirates and Lego. Just when you think it can't get any better: politics.

G

"I know, pirates and Lego. Just when you think it can't get any better: politics."

That pic looks more like PLAYMOBIL. It's certainly not LEGO.

[citation][nom]notlego[/nom]"I know, pirates and Lego. Just when you think it can't get any better: politics."That pic looks more like PLAYMOBIL. It's certainly not LEGO.[/citation]

Some of the old Mega Blocks guys looked like that, too. But, just like the whole ipod/mp3 player thing, any type of construction toy similar to Legos are known as Legos.

Man I loved those things when I was a kid.

JMcEntegart

Splendid
Aug 25, 2007
Play Mobil is basically Lego for smaller hands. The bigger your hands get, the smaller the bricks get.

Also, interesting: In Europe we call it Lego. As in, I have boxes and boxes of Lego. Imagine my surprise when I was told by the lads in the office that that was just like saying, "I have boxes and boxes of cookie."

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
we should have the Pirate Party here in the USA.Why not ?
there are a tone of folks out there who are totally fed up with rich bigwig suits stuffing their pockets on our hard work.

and how about legallizing pot for once.imagine if all pot smokers marched on wshington dc and did a sit down thru the city.

we definately need a new party and we do have a ton of folks who hate the current goverment.

G

The Libertarian party is probably the closest to a USA equivalent, and some states have Libertarian representatives. I'm not sure how much they actually accomplish, though.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]JMcEntegart[/nom]Play Mobil is basically Lego for smaller hands. The bigger your hands get, the smaller the bricks get.Also, interesting: In Europe we call it Lego. As in, I have boxes and boxes of Lego. Imagine my surprise when I was told by the lads in the office that that was just like saying, "I have boxes and boxes of cookie."[/citation]

Lego's called cookie overseas? That's kinda wierd. We've got Lego land here (amusement center thingy) to generate some revenue from the popularity .... and it's not called cookie land ...

Anyway, why you still have the lego? saving it for offspring? Many moons ago I sold mine to some ex junkie for a nice bundle of cash to fund some of my drivers license ...

terr281

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
And, despite the existance of any political party on the national front other than the Democrats and Republicans, any US citizen that votes for a candidate from a different party is wasting their vote. (Excluding the select few "Independent" and "Green" Representatives.)

The US electoral system is broken because we don't use the "% of vote = # of proportional seats won" for parties. (We elect "individuals" who ally with one of the two parties to get support.)

The Pirate Party may exist, but at the best... they are just another lobbying group.

Status
Not open for further replies.