'Pirates 3' Runs Aground in Shallow Waters

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
"Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End" delivers thrilling spectacle and superb technical filmmaking, but suffers from following a muddled second movie and can't close the trilogy with a bang.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
I suppose Davy Jones is a villain to some extent but the real trouble-makers are the East India Trading Company. Really? What is so bad about a trading company? If you want your villains to be a corporate conglomerate intent on dominating the sea for personal gain, suspending fundamental human rights, and murdering people in droves maybe a darker name is in order.

What was this all about? A bit of history would have helped you understand the villain of the film, as both British Trading Companies (West and East), were responsible for a lot of suffering for many colonies and countries during a few centuries (let's see hiring corsairs, slavering, warmongering, etc), so as a villain, it is well placed.

The rest of the review is ok, I guess. :wink:

bfellow

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2006
The East India Trading Company did help trigger the Boston Tea Party by trying to monopolize tea in Massachusetts by the Tea Act passed by Parliament.

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Yeah...that was the kind of stuff I was referring...the India Trading Companies were extensions of the British Government and was the fundamental stone in the British Empire, as it was a capitalistic (merchantilist at the time the film is passed...which I think is in the 17th century) empire. And the British empire was almost invincible on the seas, having the biggest armada ever. They only lost their soberany over the seas at the beggining of the 20th century, when the Germans developed an equal sized and powerful armada. But if you want to learn more about the british armada, Admiral Nelson and the Battle of Trafalgar are a good place to start (the British had 27 ships against 33 from the French and Spain - who had the biggest ship in world, with 4 levels of cannons on each side of the ship - and through some great maneuvers tactics and efficiency, anihilated the enemy fleet, although Nelson died during the battle)

sviola

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2006
Fantasy movies need fantasy villains.

Do they? What about Indiana Jones movies? 2 of 3 have Nazis as the bad guys. And I think the enemy is well put in the movie. As for fantasy, there's plenty of fantasy in series (undead, kraken, Davy Jones,...)