Pirates Getting Their RapidShare Accounts Nuked

Status
Not open for further replies.

HansVonOhain

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Rapidshare depends on people who share the pirated software, which in turn own Premium accounts. These accounts are their profits. Without them, they are going to suffer financially.

seanlansing

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2010
I agree. If they are seriously trying to help prosecute their customers then they might as well just shut down the site. Trying prosecute customers is not a good business model.

toastninja17

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Wait...you've gotta be kidding me. I don't have an account on the website, though I've used it before, but doing this is basically stopping almost all traffic that goes in and out of the website. That's what filehosting IS..

[citation][nom]arguggi[/nom]Well then, simply put, they are doomedIllegal downloads are what, 80/90 % of their traffic?[/citation]
Exactly.

noodlegts

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2009
[citation][nom]seanlansing[/nom]I agree. If they are seriously trying to help prosecute their customers then they might as well just shut down the site. Trying prosecute customers is not a good business model.[/citation]

It's not prosecuting customers that's a bad business model... it's running a business where 80-90% of your activity is illegal. It's like if you owned a venue and decided to use it for dogfighting matches rather than boxing or concerts.

fozzyfozborne

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
I thought that's what rapidshare was for... Well at least my subscription is expiring in a few weeks. I guess they can say goodbye to my 55 bucks a year.

jimbo21

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2010
After reading the comments from the link, most believe that emails were sent to individuals from scammers and that was the reason their accounts were terminated. I guess those who had their accounts terminated called rapidshare and had everything returned to normal, it seems to just be a scam, atleast from the article.

erdinger

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2008
I live in Switzerland where downloading things with copyright is 100% legal as long as you DO NOT upload it.

For us Rapidshare is a totally legal service so we don't have anything to fear compared to torrents which remain illegal...

Still it sucks that they close accounts and persecute customers.

[citation][nom]seanlansing[/nom]I agree. If they are seriously trying to help prosecute their customers then they might as well just shut down the site. Trying prosecute customers is not a good business model.[/citation]

Tell that to the RIAA. SCO still hasn't learned that and they are going down in flames.

bison88

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
Doesn't surprise me they lose there account. I mean we all know the majority of file hosting sites and start ups often revolve around piracy getting them into the spotlight. Rapidshare, Megaupload and countless others weren't new when they came around. There was a reason people used them for piracy in the first place.

botabota

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
pirate got nuked... rapidshare got the effect ...
There are other site like rapidshare, even if rapidshare doesn't do this anymore, people wont come back...
congratulation ... you just nuked yourself

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Back when the original Rapidshare was around, I used to host my own band's music files to distribute freely, because it was cheaper than getting a high-bandwidth web hosting plan (it was that long ago, yes). Now, with all of RS's own download and bandwidth caps, it's a useless service, anyway.

simplec1

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
[citation][nom]builderbobftw[/nom]Same thing happened to Mininova.RIP MININOVA!!!!![/citation]

Don't forget before mininova there was suprnova

Status
Not open for further replies.