[SOLVED] Pitted GP104 on GTX 1070

Jan 6, 2021
I have an EVGA GTX 1070 SC with the ACX 3.0 cooler on it. I bought it brand new many years ago (can't remember exactly). My temps have been getting higher slowly over time and I finally decided it's time to repaste it. Note that the temps have always been acceptable, I don't think I've ever seen it go over 80C but it was getting into the mid 70's gaming at 100% gpu load. I have never had it apart before, it's never given me any problems. I opened it up and cleaned off the thermal paste with 90% isopropyl using a paper towel and q tips. The top up the gpu and the heatsink appear to have maybe a dozen very small pits on them. Picture what the corner of your phone looks like after you drop it on concrete. I could feel them with my finger and I couldn't scrape them off with my fingernail. The heatsink plate had some fairly rough machining marks also. I grabbed some 400 grit sandpaper and smoothed out the heatsink, applied new paste, and put it back together. It's running nice and cool now, but I am very curious why it was like that in the first place? Was it metal chips or burrs from poor machining/ part cleaning that got sandwiched between during assembly or plating? That seems unlikely. Could it be galvanic corrosion? I assume the heatsink plate is either nickel coated or aluminum, it was not bare copper. Chemical reaction to the thermal paste or acid etching? I wish I'd taken pictures or put it under my son's microscope but i had to get to work. Has anyone else seen this before? I tried googling it but could find anything. Thanks.

Solution
I was thinking of thermal compound corrosion myself. I cant see nvidia shipping out gpu chips that haven't been properly lapped.
I also wonder if you got a repaired unit instead, some vendors are pretty shady like that.

popatim

Titan
I was thinking of thermal compound corrosion myself. I cant see nvidia shipping out gpu chips that haven't been properly lapped.
I also wonder if you got a repaired unit instead, some vendors are pretty shady like that.

Solution
Jan 6, 2021
I've never heard of thermal compound corrosion, I'll have to look it up. Is that common? And I bought the card new from jet.com after it was acquired by Walmart so it should be legit. I don't think there were 3rd party sellers on it back then but I could be wrong. I found my receipt, it was in March, 2017.