Pixelated Blacks while watching video

Status
Not open for further replies.

Camsix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013
HI,
I am hoping to get some specific help. When I watch video playback (downloaded content) the dark blacks look very bad, almost like an original NINTENDO. It is almost blocky. The colors and brighter scenes look excellent. When I watch Netflix it is almost always like that.

I can play any game and never have that problem though.

I have done a speed test at speedtest.net and i get over 50mb dl and over 12mb ul.

I am running a 3570k cpu, 16 gb ram, GTX 780 MSI gpu, and on a SSD. I know my computer should have perfect picture so I am trying to figure out why I have this problem. It does not matter what monitor I use, it happens with both my 23 inch and my 40 inch.

Any help would be great. If you think it is a specific hardware problem please post how to test or determine it is.

Thanks in advance,
Camsix

Solution
Your image got shrunk so it is hard to see, I recommend cropping to just one desktop.

You can hold ALT when you hit print screen and get just the currently selected window. For the hell of it, have your tried other browsers or does it happen in every video player(my screen's are from a video of a game :) ).

Here is some compression artifacts(due to low bit rates)
Something you should not generally have with your connection and netflix generally being good. This is more of an example of what this kind of thing looks like. With different color settings, it is much less noticeable.

Check the back wall
2z65qxg.png

Camsix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

What about the Netflix portion of it? It is contant bad resolution. One thing I failed to mention. On my wife's computer we do not have any of these problems.

I would get a video off the internet that does this and try it on both systems.

Something else to look at is the dynamic range(this is not dynamic contrast) set on your system. For some reason many cards come default to limited range(16-235 vs 0-255 for full). That setting will make the darkest colors brighter and generally washed out looking and cut off the top end a bit as well. This may in some situations show more of these artifacts.

Can you by any chance get a screen capture of this issue to show us.

This is an image showing limited vs full range, but it is much more noticeable on some types of video(this just happened to be the first video I grabbed from Saints Row 3)
http://i58.tinypic.com/286v5ar.jpg

Camsix

Honorable
Mar 25, 2013

Here is a screenshot of a movie. Take a look at the blacks. Its weird, it only happens in videos...not games.
http://i1172.photobucket.com/albums/r580/Kaleb_Wicklund/GPUtest_zps51328c32.png

Your image got shrunk so it is hard to see, I recommend cropping to just one desktop.

You can hold ALT when you hit print screen and get just the currently selected window. For the hell of it, have your tried other browsers or does it happen in every video player(my screen's are from a video of a game :) ).

Here is some compression artifacts(due to low bit rates)
Something you should not generally have with your connection and netflix generally being good. This is more of an example of what this kind of thing looks like. With different color settings, it is much less noticeable.

Check the back wall
2z65qxg.png

Solution

Divan Nel

Reputable
Nov 19, 2014

Ronshere

Reputable
Mar 25, 2014
pixelation is usually due to insufficient voltage. However, if your PSU is putting out too much to the video card it can be damaging the card as well. Check your voltages to the card and see if they are good.

Realize this thread is a necro, but meh.
This is typically a problem when the video is at a low bit-depth and/or bitrate. With either one, whats happening is basically the file is specifying less and less colours to display. So dark or bright areas that are relatively the same colour can end up being blocky, as the gradient between black and gray (or any two given colours) gets rougher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS