News Pixelated Clothes Let You Dress Like an NFT, Start at $590

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Feel like about 10 years late. I think "8-bit" references in pop culture peaked quite a while ago and was mainly a Millennial and Gen-X thing.

In the Metaverse age, I expect to see a lot of fashion garments and accessories being sold along with a digital version, for your avatar. The title kind of had me thinking that's what this was. It's kind of interesting to contemplate how that could affect fashion, since these pieces would need to look good in the metaverse - which, I think still significantly trails your typical game engine in graphical sophistication.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Speaking of 8-bit, somebody please back me up on this: isn't the "8-bit" aesthetic more consistent with consoles actually from the "16-bit" era? I'm thinking specifically SNES and Sega Genesis (which is technically 32-bit, IMO).

pointa2b

Prominent
Dec 22, 2022
Feel like about 10 years late. I think "8-bit" references in pop culture peaked quite a while ago and was mainly a Millennial and Gen-X thing.

As someone in their mid 30's, you're right... it ties in to the NES generation. I'd probably buy a hoodie or a tshirt for the heck of it if it was $30-50, but $1-2 grand? No way lol.

USAFRet

Titan
So the Army was just ahead of the curve?
cXJDieX.jpg

(it didn't work very well and they discontinued it)

Speaking of 8-bit, somebody please back me up on this: isn't the "8-bit" aesthetic more consistent with consoles actually from the "16-bit" era? I'm thinking specifically SNES and Sega Genesis (which is technically 32-bit, IMO).
To me 8 bit is a reference to 8 bit color that older consoles used to use due to their limited ram/color palette due to lack of ram/storage/tech.

With only 8 bits to express color you were limited to 256 possible shades.

The bitness of the processor is not directly correlated to the maximum amount of colors that can be shown.

As technlogy progressed new processors and more/cheaper ram and storage were developed that allowed for the increased amount of colors we have now.

As for the SNES it had a Picture Processing Unit (PPU) that had access to a 15-bit RGB (32,768 color) palette, with up to 256 simultaneous colors.

Last edited:
Reactions: bit_user

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
People spend stupid amounts for different things.
Cars, GPUs, clothes, vacations, skis, boats, wine, etc, etc, etc.
Yeah, but fashion stands somewhat apart in that expensive clothes generally serve no functional purpose any better than cheaper clothes. It's just about flaunting wealth, to benefit one's social status.

Fine wine & cigars are a little bit the same way, in that you're showing how much money you're willing to part with for something you can only consume once, where as fashion accessories typically can be worn multiple times or have some resale value.

Not that conspicuous consumption doesn't exist in other domains, but at least a more expensive car or GPU tends to at least perform better.