Question Pixelated textures in the distance - GTA V

DacheZ

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
Hello everyone, I discovered this issue recently that when i look in the distance I can see the pixels for no reason as you can see on the wall in front of my car, plus the poles load slow, cars, grass and some buildings unless I get closer - View: https://imgur.com/hJ16bIN

System Specs:
CPU: i7-4770
GPU:RX 560 2GB
RAM:16 GB DDR3
Motherboard: Dell XPS 8700
SSD: Liteonit LMS-32L6M mSata 32GB
HDD: WDC WD5000AAKS-00UU3A0 500GB
HDD: STM3500418AS 500GB (Disk C:
PSU: Stock dell 460W

While in game, go to Esc>Settings>Graphics, and scroll down to Distance Scaling. This is the setting that determines the LOD (Level of Detail). It determines at what distance textures are taken from a distant view blur to high detail.

When that slider is at the 10% mark, the LOD is that of consoles, which is so bad you can run into objects drawing into view while driving. This setting also has negligible impact on performance, so you can probably push it pretty high.

As the below guide says, increasing distance scaling is most noticeable in the city. With a 560 2GB I would leave the Advanced Graphics settings untouched, and if you've changed them, I advise resetting them to their defaults.

This is a great guide that explains in detail and shows examples of all the graphics settings, and their performance impact. https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide

Last edited:

DacheZ

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
While in game, go to Esc>Settings>Graphics, and scroll down to Distance Scaling. This is the setting that determines the LOD (Level of Detail). It determines at what distance textures are taken from a distant view blur to high detail.

When that slider is at the 10% mark, the LOD is that of consoles, which is so bad you can run into objects drawing into view while driving. This setting also has negligible impact on performance, so you can probably push it pretty high.

As the below guide says, increasing distance scaling is most noticeable in the city. With a 560 2GB I would leave the Advanced Graphics settings untouched, and if you've changed them, I advise resetting them to their defaults.

This is a great guide that explains in detail and shows examples of all the graphics settings, and their performance impact. https://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/1909-gta-v-graphics-optimization-guide
Distance Scaling is already at maximum :/

Distance Scaling is already at maximum :/
What are the rest of your settings? The only thing I can think of is maybe you pushed them too high using up too much VRAM, and the game can't keep up with them, which could cause texture streaming to not perform as well as it should.

You really can't afford to push graphics settings too high in a game with a large detailed city when you only have 2GB VRAM. Run MSI Afterburner while playing and set CPU/GPU usage, memory, VRAM, and FPS to show onscreen. Then watch what happens when you get those moments of pixelation.

The picture you showed above is not good enough to make clear what the problem is, or if there even IS a problem. I don't see any pixelation, and the fact that it's foggy and raining would make it hard to determine what's causing it even if I did see it.

Last edited:

DacheZ

Reputable
Mar 17, 2019
What are the rest of your settings? The only thing I can think of is maybe you pushed them too high using up too much VRAM, and the game can't keep up with them, which could cause texture streaming to not perform as well as it should.

You really can't afford to push graphics settings too high in a game with a large detailed city when you only have 2GB VRAM. Run MSI Afterburner while playing and set CPU/GPU usage, memory, VRAM, and FPS to show onscreen. Then watch what happens when you get those moments of pixelation.

The picture you showed above is not good enough to make clear what the problem is, or if there even IS a problem. I don't see any pixelation, and the fact that it's foggy and raining would make it hard to determine what's causing it even if I did see it.
Huh that's weird, a few weeks ago my GPU usage was 100% but now it drops from 100% to 30-50%, Gpu temperature is about 50-60C, and the Cpu is about 70-75C, Cpu usage is 30-50%, the GPU usage drops when I drive fast