Pixelation / viewing issue and using 144hz on 970 GTX

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013
Hey. I just bought new Dell S2716DG 2560x1440 monitor after using 1680x1050 for a long time and i have couple of issues with it.

First one is that im unable to use any refresh rates above 85Mhz. On official dell forums they insist that you need at least 980GTX or above to use those refresh rates but i know that people are using them even on 770GTX cards. Even i was able to switch 144Mhz couple of times (don't know how i did it but i did switch g-sync on and off few times) but usually the monitor would just flicker or turn off when i try to do it and stop working on reboot anyway. I realize that even if im able to switch it on i wont be able to get enough fps in games so it won't look good anyway but i am curious if anyone else has 970GTX and 144hz monitors and is able to use it.

Second issue is that i keep noticing pixelation or actual individual pixels appearing when moving windows or having moving images on screen like in movies and games. I do not know how to describe it and there is no way to show it properly but it is most noticeable on brighter or white images and up close. I do not have colour distortion or pixel inversion issues, i don't have any bleed effects, dead pixels or any other issues usually associated with monitors so i am wondering if its just my ocd which makes me pay attention to little details after switching from much older and darker monitor or if its some serious issue with this monitor.

Can't help with your 144Hz problem. But your second issue is probably because you, like me, are cursed with good eyes which can see high speed flicker.

Most LCD panels aren't actually 8-bit (256 shades per color). They're 6-bit (64 shades per color) and use something called FRC (frame rate control) to achieve thee extra 2 bits. So the monitor will only be able to display shades 64, 68, 72, etc. If a frame in a movie calls for shade 65, what it does is rapidly flicker between shade 64 and 68. It shows shade 64 75% of the time, shade 68 25% of the time, thus creating the illusion of shade 65 and making the panel appear to have 8-bits of color depth.

You and I are able to see this flickering. So we can perceive the brief 6-bit image the monitor is displaying. Where most people see smooth shades, we see the brief gradients that are shown (my old Dell monitor liked to use a checkerboard pattern of FRC that I could see whenever I moved my eyes to look at a different part of the screen). You'll probably find you can see this more easily in your peripheral vision. it's more sensitive to rapid changes in brightness than your fovea.

Unfortunately, true 8-bit panels tend to be expensive, purchased primarily for people working in graphics and photo editing. But the FRC quality varies with monitors. Dell's S-series of monitors is their office grade, one step up from their budget line (E-series). You may be able to get a panel with better FRC by stepping up to their P or U series monitors. Or you can try monitors from different manufacturers.

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013

Well also sitting further back seems to have solved the issue as well. But yeah it does look like a checkerboard pattern up close.

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013

I've checked and apparently this is a true 8bit monitor. Any other ideas?

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015

I have the same problem here... using amsung C24FG73. Also (because of this, I think), text doesn't seem as clear as I'd expect. Wonder if that happens to you too.

Celauron

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2013

Well my issue been partially or mostly solved by purchasing a new displayport cable and replacing the one included with the monitor. Not only i can switch to other refresh rates now but on higher refresh rates that pixelation or noticing pixels issue either disappears or much less noticeable. Even on 60Hz it became less noticeable as well and more in line with my old 60Hz NEC monitor.

I also bought the cheapest cable since it was the only available at the moment. I think i might try searching for something more expensive and see if perhaps it improves quality even more. Maybe that will help you as well?

-Arke-

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2015

I'll absolutely give it a try!