PK5-E with Q6600 upgraded video card to Asus Radeon HD7770, no video but boots

croyd12

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013
I just replaced my 8800GT card with an Asus Radeon HD7770 but no video appears. My computer still seems to be booting though since I heard Windows 7 sounds when it gets to the login screen. My motherboard is an Asus PK5-E Wifi model.

I tried upgrading my Bios to 1305 which is the latest. I have uninstalled all my Nvidia drivers before installing the new card but no luck.

I believe this new card is a PCI-E 3.0 card. Is it compatible with Asus PK5-E motherboard? My understanding is that it would be backward compatible. I asked the sales people before I bought it and they said as long as the PSU is 450W, I should be fine. I have 620W PSU from Corsair.

I've tried DVI, HDMI but still no video. I tried manually switching input on the monitor, still no signal. Note, I don't even get the boot up screens where you see the memory, drives, etc...

Any ideas on what may be wrong or other things I can try?

Thanks,
Croyd

Solution
Yes the cards are backwards compatable to PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 1.0. but some boards are PCIe 1.1 which can cause issues with backwards compatability. I am not sure about the PK5-E (been a long time since i touched one) but if u have your 8800GT still put it in , access the Bios and see if there is a way to Force the bios to 1. Load PCIe Display first. and 2. Set the PCIe speed to forced 1.0

kitsunestarwind

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2011
Yes the cards are backwards compatable to PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 1.0. but some boards are PCIe 1.1 which can cause issues with backwards compatability. I am not sure about the PK5-E (been a long time since i touched one) but if u have your 8800GT still put it in , access the Bios and see if there is a way to Force the bios to 1. Load PCIe Display first. and 2. Set the PCIe speed to forced 1.0

Solution

croyd12

Honorable
Nov 2, 2013

Hi kitsunestarwind,

What does PCIe speed to force 1.0 do? Is there any way to tell if my motherboard is PCIe 2.0, 1.1, or 1.0?

Thanks!

TRENDING THREADS