[SOLVED] Placement of case fans -- advice needed.

TheGamersHUD

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
Hello, I just finished building my new rig the other day and was moving some case fans around.

For top exhaust fans is it better to be centered or lined up with rear exhaust (picture examples) and where should i place more fans?

I have the Lian Li Lancool II, and the top grill is pretty wide. The stock fan came placed toward the side to line up with the rear exhaust (pics below)

I added a 140mm intake to the front and moved the stock 120mm to the top exhaust with the other one and figure i should center them up, but now i'm having second thoughts.

What do you guys think i should do? Line them back up with the rear exhaust or keep them centered like they are in the pictures below?

Also i was going to buy another 140mm for the front intake and i'm wondering if i should put a fan on the PSU shroud to blow upwards or if that would just be circulating the hot air?

Any input would be much appreciated! 😄

Solution
i wouldnt get to hung up on it, case fans only really have a significant effect on smaller cases, that plenty roomie, but to answer your question ton down fan are only really used for AIO coolers, so i would just keep the fans from front to back for best airflow, you dont want to mix as it causes bad airflow due to the multiple streams

freercurse

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2016
i wouldnt get to hung up on it, case fans only really have a significant effect on smaller cases, that plenty roomie, but to answer your question ton down fan are only really used for AIO coolers, so i would just keep the fans from front to back for best airflow, you dont want to mix as it causes bad airflow due to the multiple streams

Reactions: MatthewPav
Solution
Mar 24, 2020
I agree with OP on this one. However, you should try to maximize airflow as much as you can to keep your parts cool to make sure they last as long as you want to use them. I also agree with OP as well on the front to back configuration with the fans, as it keeps it simple when it comes to cooling all your components. However, I personally would add more fans the the two you have because you do have a pretty good cpu and gpu. The gpu does put off a lot of heat so it would be best to have more airflow to keep fresh air flowing through the gpu. I would add at least two more fans; one in the front, and one on the top pushed towards the back so you can keep the front to back configuration. Unfortunately, I can't see the picture you attached to the post. Hope this helps.

TheGamersHUD

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2011
I would add at least two more fans; one in the front, and one on the top pushed towards the back so you can keep the front to back configuration. Unfortunately, I can't see the picture you attached to the post. Hope this helps.

so right now I have a 140mm intake on the front at the bottom, and 2 120mm on top exhaust with one more 120mm at the rear exhaust.
I should just add another 140 intake you think? The 140mm I bought is definitely a higher speed fan than the stock 120s

Mar 24, 2020
I think you should balance the amount of intake and exhaust you have. If you have more exhaust than intake, you will caused a buildup of dust in your case fairly quickly because of the negative pressure caused by more exhaust than intake. I would personally order two more fans for the front of the case assuming you have the space for it in your case. Just make sure that you have the same amount of intake and exhaust fans or if anything more intake than exhaust.