Placement of CD-ROM, CD-RW, DVD Drives

Kujo

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2001
Here's a question(s) I need the pros here to help me out with:

It deals with placement of numerous optical drives; the CD-ROM, CD-RW, and DVD drive. The hard drives, two WD1000BB's, setup in a RAID 0 config (using a Promise FastTrak 100 Tx2 card) are on their own seperate channels and are not at issue here.

The three optical drives listed above will be setup on the MB's primary and secondary channels and that is where my question lies.

Intended Usage:
I plan to copy some CD's from the CD-ROM drive as well as data off the HD's to the CD-RW. At this point, both of these tasks will be shared equally. And yes, I'll be watching a few DVDs.

So, in terms of performance, how would "you" configure this setup?
-Where does that CD-ROM go?
-Where do you put that CD-RW?
-Do you share a channel between these two drives and if so, does it matter which one is the master/slave?
-Or do you kick that CD-RW off on its' own channel, and if so, do you place it on the Primary or Secondary channel?

So many options, so many choices. Please keep performance in mind.

I think the answer to this drive placement question will hinge between these two drives and the DVD drive will simply follow. What are you guys thinkin?

I would appreciate all comments on this setup. There are many combinations here and your sound reasoning and logic would be much appreciated!!!!

Thanks in advance to all!

Joe

lhgpoobaa

Illustrious
Dec 31, 2007
ok... so if i understand correctly u have 3 cd/dvd media drives for 4 device slots.
hmmm
well i would put the cdrw by itself on a seperate channel, that way you will get more reliable direct cd/dvd to burner 'on the fly' copying.
as master should be fine.

dunno why u need a cd-rom drive in all honesty.
i use my pioneer 16x dvd as my main drive. does all the stuff a cd drive does, at similar speeds.

Excuse me for a moment. I need to drive my ergonomic wheely chair over a sheet of bubble wrap!