Plagued By BSOD after new graphics card install...

questionablyinsane

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
Alright where do I begin... Well first a foremost I am being plagued by several different BSODs. They are PFN_list_corrupt, Irql not less or equal and and memory management. They all seem to happen when i start up my computer and usually kick in right when I try to log in.

This issue is a new one and I think I may have made it worse. This all started when I upgraded my graphics card from dual SLI Gigabyte 560s to an Evga 770.

The computer ran fine for about 3 days, but then I started getting the BSOD when I reached login. I restarted my computer and it ran just fine for that session but occasionally the screen would freeze and then I resume to normal and get a message about Nvidia Kernel something or other failed and restarted... So after a few cases of the the computer blue screening at login and freezes with kernel messages I started to look for solutions.

First I tried reinstalling Nvidia drivers, I was using the newest drivers 335.23 and I installed what I heard to be the more stable drivers 332.21. This did nothing I still was having issues... So then I took the card out and reinstalled it to make sure the connections were good. Still no luck.

So then after a bit of research and looking at my graphics card I found that it might have something to do with my mother board bios and there was even a paper that came with my new graphics card that suggested as much... Well I I have a ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 and have never updated my bios (I was never having problems before aside from the Asus splash screen showing twice even since I built the computer) Well I do think I successfully install the bios via EZ flash (I went from 0301 to 3603) The computer boots up fine (even though I still get two splash screens) I can even go to the bios and everything looks fine and functioning... But by the time I get to the login I know almost always get the BSOD. It should be noted that I may not have things perfect in the bios set up...

So then I try safe mode with networking and the computer boots up fine... I've tried a few things with drivers again and I have even put in my old cards again but I still get the BSOD on login...

So... Yeah I dunno anymore... I should state that this is my first computer that I have built from scratch and have had a happy relationship with it for 2 1/2 years with no issues... I should also state that I was getting the odd message now and again of drivers giving out before I changed my GPU. These were mostly concerning my Drawing tablet that for some reason was acting up (It had conflicts with my printerdrivers in the past but I updated those drivers and it haden't acted up too much.)

My computer rig is as follows:

Intel Core i7-2600K processor (stock and not overclocked)
ASUS P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 Motherboard
Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD (for my main C drive)
Hitachi Deskstar 2TB HDD (for storage) and Corsair Force GT 240 GB SSD (for games)
Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Sound Card
Corsair Memory Vengeance 16GB Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 MHz
GTX 560 SLI and GTX 770
Inuos 4 tablet
Windows 7 Ultimate
HP Photosmart Cc4200 Printer (Drivers were giving me issues so might as well mention it)

So... After this novel I have a few questions: Is their any foreseeable means of fixing my computer?... Do I have to reinstall windows and will this fix it? Should I return my new graphics card because you think it is faulty? Is there any special bios tweaks I should be concerned with?

I think I may be having a case of a little knowledge is a dangerous thing as I built this rig figuring it out as I went and now I built my computer into a corner.

I hope I have given you adequate information so we can brainstorm a solution. As I'm a freelance 3d artist and my computer is my life so a quick solution would be appreciated. Thanks in advance guys.

Solution
when running memtest+ remove all other RAM, one RAM at a time.
and try each slot if you are using all the slots.

reinstalling your OS might work, but we dont know if maybe your "Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD" is at fault (but i think its not)

how many 770 did you have?

questionablyinsane

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014

Well that is good to know thanks. But I haven't overclocked anything myself. If a thing is overclocked it came out of the factory that way so... How would you turn of the overclocking?...

But the real question is will reinstalling windows likely get rid of all my BSOD? Is this a logical step at this point?

I have one thing I feel I should do and that is run memtest on my memory to see if they have gotten faulty.. After that I think my issue is driver based on some setting in the bios is messed up.

questionablyinsane

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
So I ran memtest + (first time ever testing memory) And I got a whole lot of errors... Haven't ever used the program before but I got a whole tone of red and a large number of errors... I think close to 10000!

So... That's not normal... So what would you guys recommend?

Do you think I should bother isolating which stick is bad? (4 sticks with 4 gigs each) or just buy new ram?

I also hear that it can be an issue with the mobo slots or with the bios not being set correctly (which would be weird if it was the bios as the computer ran fine for 2/12 years on whatever bios setting I had them on, I didn't touch them.)

SO I need your guys vast wisdom on what to do next. And if you could be so kind... Spell it out as if you were addressing a retarded inebriated infant so I can follow along ^_^

Hash1991

Reputable
Feb 27, 2014
when running memtest+ remove all other RAM, one RAM at a time.
and try each slot if you are using all the slots.

reinstalling your OS might work, but we dont know if maybe your "Corsair Force 3 120 GB SSD" is at fault (but i think its not)

how many 770 did you have?

Solution

questionablyinsane

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I just got one 770 and it was working great for 3 days. And yeah I was worried that it was the card at fault first... (It might have been the straw that broke the camel's weakened back though). I'm starting to think about it and I was getting all sorts of tiny issues going before I got my new card... Mozilla would occasionally crash when I ran videos and when I would login I would occasionally get warning messages that some driver or other failed to start... It is bizarre that a computer can function with bad ram... But I guess if only 1 stick is bad then the other 3 can still keep the boat afloat.

It's starting to sound like reinstalling my OS is not the correct solution but rather replacing my faulty RAM. I'm fortunate as I can order ram and get it in 2 days. I just hope it's not a bad slot.

questionablyinsane

Reputable
Apr 28, 2014
I would just like to say that the issue looks to be solved! I tested all my RAM individually and found that one stick of my RAM was VERY bad off (like two seconds of running memtest and there were errors) ... So I removed that stick and another of my RAM and am know running with 8gb of RAM instead of 16gb. I have ordered a replacement stick.

Happily It seems that my graphics card is not the source of all my problems all along and my system seems stable now. Thanks for the help guys. ^_^

Burfz

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015
I had the same thing going on with me, i thought i'd check out the card and when i unplugged it i noticed that a transparent sticker that i missed out was causing all of this...

TRENDING THREADS