[SOLVED] Plan on upgrading and need some help on deciding on which parts to buy ?

eddiespaghetti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
ok so I'm getting into VR and I'm planning on getting the HP Reverb 2. I know i need to upgrade my desktop to enjoy the full resolution of the HP Reverb 2. I know for sure that i need to upgrade my cpu and gpu, but i am also wondering if i need to upgrade my motherboard.

Here are my PCs Specs:

Motherboard: asus Maximus VI Hero LGA 1150 Intel Z87 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
GPU: EVGA GTX 780 ti super
CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k quad core 3.5 Ghz
Power Supply: Corsair RM 850
Ram: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model …

I'm looking to get like an RTX 2080ti or perhaps wait for a 3080 or 3080ti. The CPU i'm not so sure about but ideally one that would fit my socket and would also not bottleneck my GPU but if not, then i will probably upgrade my motherboard.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
You already have the best processor your board supports it's more or less the same as a 4790K.

That would mean getting new memory, board and processor to upgrade it.

For the video card to myself the 2080ti is not worth the price increase over the 2080 Super.

The 3080 if the leaked specks and price is correct looks like a killer buy.

If it was me I would overclock your CPU and get a new video card first and see how it performs then if your not satisfied and your maxing out the processor replace it.

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
You already have the best processor your board supports it's more or less the same as a 4790K.

For the video card to myself the 2080ti is not worth the price increase over the 2080 Super.

If it was me I would overclock your CPU and get a new video card first and see how it performs then if your not satisfied and your maxing out the processor replace it.

Solution

eddiespaghetti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015

well i have looked at benchmarks of different games and the cpu definitely will bottleneck the gpu.

any specific builds you would recommend? Like motherboard, memory, etc.

Blitz Blitz

Distinguished
May 18, 2015
I'll search for faster ram, what motherboard supports, and is tested from qvl.
Upgrade psu if it's old, or out of warranty.
Add ssd, or ssds if it's not added yet.
Better cpu cooler, case fans, for better cooling and airflow.
Search for better gpu like gtx 1070/1080, etc. Try to overclock system, cpu, ram, gpu...

Zerk2012

Titan
Ambassador
well i have looked at benchmarks of different games and the cpu definitely will bottleneck the gpu.

any specific builds you would recommend? Like motherboard, memory, etc.
On a budget the 3700X processor, and a B550 board and would probably go ahead and get 32gb of memory since it's fairly cheap.

More expensive a 10700K, Z 490 board and 32gb of memory.

Why I say 32gb of memory it about 60 bucks more but you would never have to add more and have a matched set already. Was reading somewhere a few months ago that the newer upcoming games for VR that 16gb of memory will be borderline.

EDIT as far as the 4770K bottleneck, since you already have it you have nothing to loose trying it before upgrading everything. If your not satisfied then upgrade it.

Last edited:

eddiespaghetti

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2015
On a budget the 3700X processor, and a B550 board and would probably go ahead and get 32gb of memory since it's fairly cheap.

More expensive a 10700K, Z 490 board and 32gb of memory.

Why I say 32gb of memory it about 60 bucks more but you would never have to add more and have a matched set already. Was reading somewhere a few months ago that the newer upcoming games for VR that 16gb of memory will be borderline.

EDIT as far as the 4770K bottleneck, since you already have it you have nothing to loose trying it before upgrading everything. If your not satisfied then upgrade it.
Thank you for the suggestion. I will check out those parts.

well I’m just not sure if the new gpu will require a new motherboard which will probably render my cpu useless if it’s a different socket

KenshiroHnK

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2016
I wouldnt waste on That ddr3 build you have. Your fine with it. But considering you vna get a 2080ti ill go for it or if you want to wait for 3080 That is said to be 30%more powefull then Just wait. Still I played with a vega 64 at 2k every game at 60fps on ultra graphics so im sure. Your 2080ti can handle your vr games. And you can sell your current build really fast And get New Ddr4 to fit your 2080ti.

Turtle Rig

Prominent
BANNED
Jun 23, 2020
OC your CPU to at least 4.4Ghz if not more. If you will be playing at 1080p then grab a 2070 or 1080 and if you play at 1440p grab a 2080 super. If you don't overclock that CPU then your waisting your money with that beefy video card. Eventually in the future when you get a new rig you can still use your 2080 super and get much more FPS and what not.