Planescape: Torment (Stuck in UN, spoily)

I've seen a number of posts here about being stuck in UN, but none of
them seem to apply to my situation. Maybe someone has a thought here.
TNO is ugly but smart (CH:9, Int:19, Wis: 10).

1. First I interviewed all the dead folk.

2. Then I ran into the ghoul with the knife, which I got from him in
exchange for rat tails I had picked up in the weeping stone.

3. Then I wandered back to Soego. He went to check out the doubtful
skeleton, and while he was gone, I realized his "desk" was open-able so
I did open it, learned the horrible truth, and went to rat him out to
Hargrimm.

4. Hargrimm kills him. I collect the head. (I was hoping to bribe
Ascage with it, no joy.)

5. Now I'm stuck. In between 1 & 2, I talked to the puzzled skel and
nameless zombie, and solved the puzzled guy's riddle and agreed to help
the nameless zombie. I just did the nameless zombie "quest", though
since I couldn't get into the drowned nations, I gave her a new name.

But I'm still a prisoner, despite having killed Soego. I can't get into
to see the king because I'm ugly, but I could probably remedy that with
a spell or two--except that I can't rest to memorize the spell I need,
until I'm NOT a prisoner.

I've read that I'm supposed to kill rats but they aren't there, and I
can't get the quest to kill them from Hargrimm. (I began to wonder if
maybe I had killed them since I had precisely six tails, but I happen
to have the auto-save right before entering the dead nations and I've
got the six tails!)

Ascage won't give me anything to do. (Too ugly.) Stale Mary won't open
the portal. (Too ugly.) Hargrimm seems not the least bit appreciative
about me outing Soego, though he said he owed me one. (Which I don't
get.)

So, short of dying--or restarting from before I entered--I don't see
how to get out of this mess.

Anyone?

Toby

On 2005-03-02, okblacke@yahoo.com <okblacke@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I've seen a number of posts here about being stuck in UN, but none of
> them seem to apply to my situation. Maybe someone has a thought here.
> TNO is ugly but smart (CH:9, Int:19, Wis: 10).
>
> 1. First I interviewed all the dead folk.
>
> 2. Then I ran into the ghoul with the knife, which I got from him in
> exchange for rat tails I had picked up in the weeping stone.
>
> 3. Then I wandered back to Soego. He went to check out the doubtful
> skeleton, and while he was gone, I realized his "desk" was open-able so
> I did open it, learned the horrible truth, and went to rat him out to
> Hargrimm.
>
> 4. Hargrimm kills him. I collect the head. (I was hoping to bribe
> Ascage with it, no joy.)
>
> 5. Now I'm stuck. In between 1 & 2, I talked to the puzzled skel and
> nameless zombie, and solved the puzzled guy's riddle and agreed to help
> the nameless zombie. I just did the nameless zombie "quest", though
> since I couldn't get into the drowned nations, I gave her a new name.
>
> But I'm still a prisoner, despite having killed Soego. I can't get into
> to see the king because I'm ugly, but I could probably remedy that with
> a spell or two--except that I can't rest to memorize the spell I need,
> until I'm NOT a prisoner.
>
> I've read that I'm supposed to kill rats but they aren't there, and I
> can't get the quest to kill them from Hargrimm. (I began to wonder if
> maybe I had killed them since I had precisely six tails, but I happen
> to have the auto-save right before entering the dead nations and I've
> got the six tails!)
>
> Ascage won't give me anything to do. (Too ugly.) Stale Mary won't open
> the portal. (Too ugly.) Hargrimm seems not the least bit appreciative
> about me outing Soego, though he said he owed me one. (Which I don't
> get.)
>
> So, short of dying--or restarting from before I entered--I don't see
> how to get out of this mess.
>
> Anyone?

It just so happens that I did this yesterday! We're at almost exactly
the same point in the game.

I got out by speaking ot Hargrimm. I followed all the conversation
options and he just let me out. It seems you just need to ask politely
once Soego is dead :D

What do you mean "too ugly"?

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

* VERY MINOR SPOILER BELOW *

Thusly okblacke@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:

>So, short of dying--or restarting from before I entered--I don't see
>how to get out of this mess.

The cranium rats are in the partly collapsed corridor "north" of the
doubting skeleton/Stale Mary's lair, "west"/left of the large meeting
hall. Go there, and they will attack.

Have you been into the flooded catacombs? Entrance is next to Acaste.

PS: Don't read the walkthrough!

--
"Forgive Russia. Ignore Germany. Punish France."
-- Condoleezza Rice, at the time National Security Adviser, on how to deal

okblacke@yahoo.com writes:

> So, short of dying--or restarting from before I entered--I don't see
> how to get out of this mess.

You _can_ kill yourself. Save the game to be sure, but I think
you can just come back after that and the door will be left open.

This whole area was a bit confusing, and the dialogue trees
seem a bit jumbled as well.

--
Darin Johnson
Laziness is the father of invention

<<I got out by speaking ot Hargrimm. I followed all the conversation
options and he just let me out. It seems you just need to ask politely
once Soego is dead :D>>

Thought I'd done that. He keeps saying I'm a prisoner.

<<What do you mean "too ugly"? >>

Low Charisma.

<<The cranium rats are in the partly collapsed corridor "north" of the
doubting skeleton/Stale Mary's lair, "west"/left of the large meeting
hall. Go there, and they will attack.>>

Nope. I've been there. I've been everywhere I can go. Nobody attacking
me.

>>Have you been into the flooded catacombs? Entrance is next to Acaste.

I can't get in to the king or the catacombs. The doors are locked. The
king's door needs a key, it says.

>>PS: Don't read the walkthrough!

I think that would hugely spoil things. I understand the story is quite
good. (And I'm enjoying it so far.)

>>You _can_ kill yourself. Save the game to be sure, but I think
you can just come back after that and the door will be left open.<<

I hope I don't have to resort to that.

<<This whole area was a bit confusing, and the dialogue trees
seem a bit jumbled as well. >>

I'm liking it. That's why I may restart rather than kill myself.

Thanks, everyone!

Toby

On 2005-03-03, okblacke@yahoo.com <okblacke@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>>You _can_ kill yourself. Save the game to be sure, but I think
> you can just come back after that and the door will be left open.<<
>
> I hope I don't have to resort to that.
>
><<This whole area was a bit confusing, and the dialogue trees
> seem a bit jumbled as well. >>
>
> I'm liking it. That's why I may restart rather than kill myself.

I don't see why setting morte to attack you until you die would be a bad
thing to do.

--
Toby.
FT: 250 DK Bongo Stars

Thusly okblacke@yahoo.com Spake Unto All:

><<The cranium rats are in the partly collapsed corridor "north" of the
>doubting skeleton/Stale Mary's lair, "west"/left of the large meeting
>hall. Go there, and they will attack.>>
>
>Nope. I've been there. I've been everywhere I can go. Nobody attacking
>me.

Ah, you don't get the quest from Hargrimm?

I've encountered that once; I had to reload. If you have any saves
from before you got Soego nuked, I'd reload that, and go straight to
Hargrimm and ask him to tell you about cranium rats & how you can
prove that you're trustworthy, THEN get Soego nuked.

I'm guessing it's a scripting bug.

--

okblacke@yahoo.com writes:

> <<This whole area was a bit confusing, and the dialogue trees
> seem a bit jumbled as well. >>
>
> I'm liking it. That's why I may restart rather than kill myself.

But killing yourself is a perfectly viable option. Doing so is not
accepting defeat. It's also the only way to get back into the
mortuary I think, because of a bug that crashes the game if you go in
the front door.

I did this once thinking that it would prove to the Undead Nations
that I was just as undead as they were and that I should be allowed
to come and go.

--

Toby <google@asktoby.com> writes:

> I don't see why setting morte to attack you until you die would be a bad
> thing to do.

Hmm, if only Morte could get experience from killing you, you could
level him up indefinately :)

--
Darin Johnson
My shoes are too tight, and I have forgotten how to dance -- Babylon 5

Darin Johnson wrote:
> okblacke@yahoo.com writes:
>
>> <<This whole area was a bit confusing, and the dialogue trees
>> seem a bit jumbled as well. >>
>>
>> I'm liking it. That's why I may restart rather than kill myself.
>
> But killing yourself is a perfectly viable option. Doing so is not
> accepting defeat. It's also the only way to get back into the
> mortuary I think, because of a bug that crashes the game if you go in
> the front door.

BIG SPOILERS: Don't un-rot unless you've played to the end:

Tvira jung lbh yrnea bs ubj lbhe vzzbegnyvgl jbexf va gur raq, V nyjnlf
sbhaq zlfrys zhpu zber hajvyyvat gb yrg GAB qvr ba fhofrdhrag ercynlf.
Va-punenpgre ur qvqa'g xabj gur pbafrdhraprf, ohg *V* qvq, naq sryg thvygl.
Abg znal tnzrf znantr gb unir gung zhpu vasyhrapr.

Naq vapvqragnyyl, vs lbh'er pbzcrgrag gb qb fb, lbh pna unir gur Pbyyrpgbe
whfg bhgfvqr gur zbethr gnxr lbh onpx vafvqr nyvir nsgre lbh 'cynl qrnq'.

--
Mark.

Thusly "Mark Blunden" <m.blundenATntlworld.com@address.invalid> Spake
Unto All:

<planescape spoilers ahoy, in ROT13>

>Naq vapvqragnyyl, vs lbh'er pbzcrgrag gb qb fb, lbh pna unir gur Pbyyrpgbe
>whfg bhgfvqr gur zbethr gnxr lbh onpx vafvqr nyvir nsgre lbh 'cynl qrnq'.

Be lbh pna wbva gur Qhfgzra snpgvba naq whfg jnyx va guebhtu gur sebag
qbbe.

--

Mean_Chlorine <mike_noren2002@NOSPAMyahoo.co.uk> writes:

> Be lbh pna wbva gur Qhfgzra snpgvba naq whfg jnyx va guebhtu gur sebag
> qbbe.

Ohg gung'f jung pna penfu gur tnzr. Gurer'f fbzrguvat nobhg
tbvat va gur sebag qbbe gung pbashfrf vg. Jnxvat hc ba n
fyno vf svar gubhtu.

--
Darin Johnson
Gravity is a harsh mistress -- The Tick

> I don't see why setting morte to attack you until you die would be a
bad
> thing to do.

I'm allergic to death. Or, as Daffy Duck put it: "I'm different. Pain
hurts me."

Actually, it's just a matter of not having been to the tomb yet. I
avoided dying fairly studiously up to that point. I still don't like it
much. <shrug>

[ok]

> Ah, you don't get the quest from Hargrimm?
>
> I've encountered that once; I had to reload. If you have any saves
> from before you got Soego nuked, I'd reload that, and go straight to
> Hargrimm and ask him to tell you about cranium rats & how you can
> prove that you're trustworthy, THEN get Soego nuked.
>
> I'm guessing it's a scripting bug.

I didn't. But then, rather mysteriously, I went back and Hargrimm gave
me the mission. Very weird. I'd talked to him 5-10 times, easily, and
this time, there it was.

So, then the rats appeared, and all was well.

Thanks again, all.

[ok]