Planetside 2 showing CPU limited fps with I7-4790k and GTX 780?

zbrink42

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
So, I have gotten into Planetside 2 as of late and so far I really like the game. It's a great first person shooter but I noticed something that struck me as a little odd.

The game features an on screen FPS monitor and also states whether your GPU or CPU is limiting the game's frame rate. My FPS I would say is probably above average, considering I get 80-90fps at most times and even during intense battles it never seems to dip below 45-50…all with settings maxed out to ultra. Why then would the in-game performance monitor show my CPU as being the bottleneck? I can’t imagine the I7-4790k is a limiting factor in a game such as this. I do understand the game is CPU intensive, far more than your regular lineup of games like farcry 3 or 4…

My system specs for your reference:

I7-4790k (factory oc’d to 4.4)
Corsair H90 Hydro Cpu cooler
Asus z97-a mobo
EVGA GTX 780 superclocked w/ACX cooler
Corsair Vengeance Pro 16gb (8gbx2) DDR3-2400mhz
120gb Edge Boost Pro SSD
Seagate Barracude 1TB 3.5” HDD
Corsair CX 750W PSU
Windows 7 Ultimate
Antec P100 Case

All cores are confirmed to be unparked.

I also have to mention that I am somewhat of a rookie when it comes to overclocking, so it’s entirely possible I may have overlooked an important setting. If anyone has any ideas or can offer some insight, I would be extremely grateful!

Solution
Planetside 2 always bottlenecks the cpu, unless you put the game on ultra than it starts hitting your gpu more than cpu, quick hint, turn shadows off and lower render distance to 1000(infantry) or 1500-2000( pilot)

That will give you a ton more frames to get a stable 60. Dont worry about the performance monitor, the game is unoptimized so your fine.

Tyree Walker

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
Planetside 2 always bottlenecks the cpu, unless you put the game on ultra than it starts hitting your gpu more than cpu, quick hint, turn shadows off and lower render distance to 1000(infantry) or 1500-2000( pilot)

That will give you a ton more frames to get a stable 60. Dont worry about the performance monitor, the game is unoptimized so your fine.

Solution

zbrink42

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014

Hi Tyree - I appreciate your insight. I will check out those settings later this evening and report back with my findings. Cheers!

Tyree Walker

Reputable
Jul 28, 2014
No problem ^_^. People have reported turning the game to ultra actually helped there frames because its took alot of the load off the cpu and some on the gpu, but your gonna need a really good gpu. If you have a decent gpu than try the shadow and render distance, if you have any questions add me on steam, just pm me

zbrink42

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
so, I have tweaked settings in the nvidia control panel, and I have re-installed all drivers. still no real increase in fps....

what is kind of alarming to me, is I monitored my cpu usage while playing the game...for each core the usage level does not seem to go over the 20-30% mark. Why would the game on ultra settings still show the CPU as the limiting factor?

zbrink42

Reputable
Oct 6, 2014
I wonder if there may be an issue with my power supply? I monitored the same usage stats while trying a few other games, like far cry 4 for example and the usage was also very low. Perhaps some sort of throttling is going on with my cpu, due to a lack of consistent power?