[SOLVED] Planing to upgrade my 5y old Gaming PC (Components)

shadovn.pro

Commendable
Mar 10, 2018
This are my pc spec
Proceesor: i5 4690K
Graphics Card : Asus Strix GTX 970 OC
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA Z97-D3H
Memory: 8GB (2x4) DDR3 1333MHz
Power Supply: SilverStone 500W 80+ Bronze
Storage: Kingston 120GB SSD and 2x 500GB WDC HDD

I was planing to upgrade ram to 16GB (2x8) 1886MHz DDR3 (HyperX Fury CL10) and my graphics card to Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti OC. Also I was planing to buy Cooler Master Hyper 212 Black Edition Air cooler and overclooking my proccesor.

What do you think about the upgrade plans. Are they good/bad any tips what to change/add ?
P.S Sorry if I made any grammar mistakes :)

Last edited:
Solution
Right now you are a 'tweener, as in in-between eh and decent.

Moving upto 16Gb of faster ram will help, slightly overall, but generally not enough to have warranted the expense of the upgrade. Except for one condition. If what you run is eating up all your available ram and forcing pagefile access on the ssd/hdd for the extra, then more ram will alleviate that time lag and allow for smoother game play.

Cpu sets the frame limit per second, it can only process X amount of frames per second, so OC can help with more instructions and higher frames count. But to get that takes cooling ability. At stock, the i5-4690k is capable of over 110w maxed out, and that'll increase with OC. The Hyper212 is a 140w cooler, so really can't handle much...

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Right now you are a 'tweener, as in in-between eh and decent.

Moving upto 16Gb of faster ram will help, slightly overall, but generally not enough to have warranted the expense of the upgrade. Except for one condition. If what you run is eating up all your available ram and forcing pagefile access on the ssd/hdd for the extra, then more ram will alleviate that time lag and allow for smoother game play.

Cpu sets the frame limit per second, it can only process X amount of frames per second, so OC can help with more instructions and higher frames count. But to get that takes cooling ability. At stock, the i5-4690k is capable of over 110w maxed out, and that'll increase with OC. The Hyper212 is a 140w cooler, so really can't handle much more than a mild OC, @ 4.5GHz locked core. On top of all that, games are pushing for 8+ threads now, many of them, which further bogs down the older i5's of any pre-8th gen Intel. Forcing usage as high as 100%, which taxes cooling ability a lot.

While the cpu sets fps limits, the gpu has to live up to that or fail to, as determined by detail settings and resolution. The 970 is quite capable in most instances at 1080p, but the more dynamic new releases can put a serious dent in fps at higher details. So the 1660ti isn't a bad choice at all, and will be better overall as an upgrade.

So you are limited on fps by a lower IPC, quad core cpu with no hyperthreading to alleviate backlog, limited by DDR3 lower size and bandwidth and speeds. I think you'd be ok with the planned upgrades IF you had an i7, but the i5 is going to put a crimp in any expected gains.

So I'd recommend you deal with what you have for now, it's not bad for what it is, but I'd not put any cash towards anything that's not going to be transferable to a new platform.

Reactions: shadovn.pro
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
u dont need to upgrade a lot, i wud suggest i7 5th gen processor and graphics card... or just simply the graphics card... get 5700xt
Sorry, but I don't think so. 5th Gen Broadwell cpus (like the i7-5775C necessary for lga1150) were a disaster, offering no real benefit to desktop over the 4th gen, are very expensive, hard to find and an overall pointless upgrade over the I7-4770k/i7-4790k