[SOLVED] Planned PC upgrade

Dec 21, 2019
Hello. I'm a new user of this forum so I'd like to say hello to all members here.
I'm planning to upgrade my old PC. But, as a student, it's obvious I do not have infinite amount of money, so I want to do it in a few steps. Despite the fact I know something about computers, I would like to ask others if I'm thinking the right way. My current configuration:

CPU: AMD FX-4300
MOBO: ASRock N68C-GS FX

GPU: EVGA GTX960 SuperSC 2GB
RAM: 2x4GB Crucial DDR3
PSU: SilentiumPC Vero L1 500W (the manufacturer may not be well-known, but it's Polish and it has a good reputation)
CPU Cooler: SilentumPC Fera 2 HE1224 v2
Case: a random one

First I'd like to change the CPU, MOBO, RAM and put everything in a new case. Maybe in a few months, after earning some money, I'll change the GPU (GTX1660 or similar). What I'm going to buy and install is:

CPU: Intel i5-9600KF (I was also thinking about Ryzen 3600, but after some thinking I decided I should go to the "team blue")
MOBO: ASUS B360M-A (I know it does not allow OC, but I don't plan doing it now; I chose CPU because of higher clock speed, not unlocked multipliers)
RAM: HyperX Predator 8GB CL13 2666 GHz (in a month I plan buying 2nd one in order to make them working dual-channel)
Case: Cooler Master NR400

My question is: Am I thinking right that those parts will match each other?
Thanks in advance for helping me.

Solution
The motherboard will only work if the BIOS has been updated enough to support the 9th gen.

As for the memory even if you bought a identical stick there's no guarantee it would work which is why it's wiser to get the 16gb kit in full.

If you have no intentions on overclocking and prefer Intel then grab the 9400F & B365 motherboard. This should be substantially cheaper then the 9600K and may allow you to get the 16gb of memory, the B365b boards natively support the 9th gen.

One last thing to consider on the AMD side is that AMD Ryzen (AM4 socket) is coming out with a fourth gen before they move onto a new socket which gives that 2600 an upgrade patch. With the 9400F/9600K there is zero upgrade path and when you decide to upgrade your...

WildCard999

Titan
Price to performance your better off going Ryzen and if money is tight then grab the R5 2600 as it's a excellent CPU for the price and still a massive upgrade over your FX 4300. Doing so should allow you to get 2x8gb @3200mhz memory instead of 8gb which is very limiting for gaming nowadays.

Dec 21, 2019
Thank you for your answer. I'll think about it, but I have always had CPUs from AMD and (despite the fact Zen is way better than previous architectures) I think it's time for change.

But if I decided to buy the i5 (and additional 8GB of RAM in near future), would the components match?
Thanks in advanve

WildCard999

Titan
The motherboard will only work if the BIOS has been updated enough to support the 9th gen.

As for the memory even if you bought a identical stick there's no guarantee it would work which is why it's wiser to get the 16gb kit in full.

If you have no intentions on overclocking and prefer Intel then grab the 9400F & B365 motherboard. This should be substantially cheaper then the 9600K and may allow you to get the 16gb of memory, the B365b boards natively support the 9th gen.

One last thing to consider on the AMD side is that AMD Ryzen (AM4 socket) is coming out with a fourth gen before they move onto a new socket which gives that 2600 an upgrade patch. With the 9400F/9600K there is zero upgrade path and when you decide to upgrade your going to have to replace the motherboard as well. I've had Intel since the AMD Phenom days (last time AMD was close in performance to Intel in 2009) and they've really stepped up with the Ryzen CPU's which is how I ended up with the 2600 over the 9600K (better price to performance imho). You could always go Ryzen 3600 but with 2020 around the corner it would be better to grab the 2600 for cheaper and then upgrade before they change socket.

Solution
Your plan is good.
Any fresh stock motherboard will come with a current bios.
If you might want 16gb, buy a 2 x 8gb kit up front.
adding a second stick later may not match.
Even the same part number my not match.
What is plan B if the second stick does not work??

Dec 21, 2019
I think I will stay with my choice (I mean the i5-9600KF)
After your comments I decided to take 2x8GB set of HyperX Predator 2666MHz CL13, this amount of memory will definitely be sufficient for now. Moreover, this scenario is risk-free (but I must say that I have never experienced not-matching memory sticks upgrading DDR2 or DDR3 and I do not know anybody who have).
Do you know how to chech BIOS version without booting the PC? Maybe there is a sticker on box or something written on BIOS chip? I'd like to know this number in order not to have the BIOS upgraded by a local shop worker who will definitely do it in exchange for some money (not big amount but still). (I managed to get the photo of a sticker on the box of the MOBO from the shop in order to look up for it there, but I don't see it).

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
As said if set on 6 core i5 just get an i5 9400f unless willing to pay for a "Z" chipset motherboard.

I know Asrock comes with a small stikker on the bioschip which say what bios is on there,but don't think you'll find it on the motherboardbox with Asus.