Planned scratch-built PC (needs some component advice)

Chris54321

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
Hi, I'm looking to build my new PC from scratch. I am quite a gamer, but I'm unfortunately not THAT rich. I'm willing to pay a reasonable price for the PC, but nothing excessive. I'm also probaly likely to overclock the PC, so if there's any suspect elements please point them out. Prices are in £, because I like in the good ol' UK. Got a bog standard case to put the stuff in, and I'll buy extras like a DVD writer, but these are the most important components that I'd like a few people to check over before I rush out and buy them.

CPU - Core 2 Duo E6300

Motherboard - Gigabyte S775 Intel 965P ATX Glan 8CH Audio ATX (does this have 2 PCI-Express 16 slots, can anyone tell me?

RAM - Corsair 2GB DDR2 XMS2-5400C4 TwinX (2x1GB)

Hard Drive - Seagate Barracude 7200.10 250gb S300

Graphics card - I am currently unsure here. I'm looking to spend a maximum of £150, and there's three cards that have taken my eye. If someone can tell me which one of the three cards at ~£150 (inc VAT) is the best on the folowing pages, I'd be very grateful.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.html

I personally can't make heads nor tail of the tiny variations between the individual cards. Is the 256mb version of the X1900 better than the supercharged X1800 256mb version that costs about the same?

spectre666

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2006
I would highly recommend using newegg.com to buy your parts, but i dont if they ship to europe.

cpu - if you have the cash, go for the E6600, otherwise you're good. you can always OC.

ram - corsair is a great brand, and 2 gb is perfect, but i would go for DDR2-800. "CORSAIR XMS2 2 x 1GB DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit System Memory" is about 200 euros (on newegg), and has latency of 4, and EPP.

mobo
- asus is a very good name, and so is abit for that matter. since your using an Intel chip, an intel board would also be fine. go for the 975x chipset.

hard drive - if your gonna game, go for the Western Digital Raptor - loading times will be much faster. but, if dont have the cash, the barracuda willl still do good.

video card - a 7900gt should just fit in your budget, but either way go with nvidia.

any other questions, just email me or w/e

dougie_boy

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
Graphics card - I am currently unsure here. I'm looking to spend a maximum of £150, and there's three cards that have taken my eye. If someone can tell me which one of the three cards at ~£150 (inc VAT) is the best on the folowing pages, I'd be very grateful.

http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1800_Series.html
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/acatalog/X1900_Series.html

I personally can't make heads nor tail of the tiny variations between the individual cards. Is the 256mb version of the X1900 better than the supercharged X1800 256mb version that costs about the same?

same problem here. cant decide.here.

change the ram to something faster. A - data do 800 ddr2 ram which is rated to run upto 1080mhz. costs about £155 for 2 gig.

also hitichi deskstar t7k250 gets very good reveiws and its one of the fastest sata2 drives out there.£54

faded

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2006
CPU wise I would recommend the 6400 if your budget allows it. Extremely overclockable and I've seen some really good results with them. If not the 6300 will do you fine.
I don't really believe you need faster ram, apparently its not so much of an issue with the Conroe. So you will be fine with that.
Hard drive is good, no need to go to a raptor IMO. So you might save a few seconds loading time?
Video cards - I would go for the X1900XT if you can afford it - if not either the X1800XT or 7900GT are good cards.

And spectre - you must be an nvidia fanboy. WHY should he go with nvidia anyway, he seems to like the look of the ATI cards. Either of those ones listed will fill his needs really well.

TRENDING THREADS