Question Planning a "budget" 3440x1440 gaming rig. Any input welcome ;)

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007
Thought I'd post my plan for a new PC.. Any ideas/suggestions or confirmations that it looks like a good setup are very welcome ;)

Why I want to get a new PC

My current PC is 8 years old, and after upgrading monitor this year to an ultra-wide 3440x1440 monitor, my gaming suffered. I also use the computer professionally for software development, so CPU/memory/IO is wanted for other cases too, but for that use my existing PC is more than sufficient, and whatever I get for a gaming rig should be too.

My main priority is a stable build that can run 24/7, that doesn't generate a lot of noise and won't give me issues. Thus I'd prefer it to not be power hungry, and be efficiently using power, so it doesn't generate more heat than needed. I don't plan to overclock anything. Also, I'm likely to hang onto this build for ages, so guessing exchanging everything again when it comes time for that at some point. Unless of course some component dies or misbehaves and need replacing anyhow.

I'm based in Norway, and wanna work with norwegian webshops I trust, which limit supply. I've been considering buying my first already built box, but the ones I find with good components seems to be very expensive, so have been investigating another build.

AMD plan:

GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA GAMING
CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X
Motherboard: ASUS ROG Strix B550-F Gaming
Memory: 2x16 GB Patriot Viper 4 Blackout DDR4 3200MHz
Storage: 1TB Corsair MP600 P RO M.2 SSD (PCIe 4.0, NVMe, 3D QLC NAND, 7000/5500MB, 700 TBW)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G6 750W 80 PLUS Gold
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 Solid Black

With ridiculous pricing of GFX card today, the total above comes to ~22.300 NOK which is €2215 or $2510 currently.

With an ultra-wide 3440x1440 monitor, I know at least a RTX 3070 will do nicely for me. Sounded like a 3060 could struggle a bit with that resolution. Also, it's fairly hopeless to find any GFX card, and this one I think I might be able to order if I decide quickly. Don't need a Ti I think, but I can't find a pure 3070 one ;/..

I've always run Intel CPUs, as my AMD experience have been CPUs running hot and needing a lot of cooling. However, the AMD Ryzen 5 5600X looks like a good CPU and nowadays it looks like AMD is running cool with less power consumption than Intel, and it seems I can save some money of cheaper motherboard and hopefully using supplied CPU fan if I don't intend to overclock anything.

Motherboard got good review here, and isn't priced too horribly, though I suspect there is several cheaper options, especially as I don't plan to overclock. But as I want a stable system, a brand I trust and a board with good reviews sounds good.

Memory is the only memory I could dig up availability for which is on the compatibility list of the motherboard. Yes.. Many others might work, but then again, I've ordered memory that didn't work before, and these I can get cheap, and they don't seem to be performing bad.

M.2 storage looks superfast. Not entirely sure if I get full use of it on the motherboard, but from what I could read up on, it sounded like I might do with a modern processor.

The PSU should have plenty of power, possibly enough even if I exchange some bits to more power hungry bits. And from what I read, should be a good one.

And the case seems to be a decent one at fairly low pricing point. I've already got a case I could use, but I guess if I exchange everything else, it would be nice to build in a new one, so I could keep the old one as a backup or give it away to someone who could use it at some point, rather than ending up trashing all the components.

Intel plan:

GFX: EVGA GeForce RTX 3070 Ti XC3 ULTRA GAMING
CPU: Intel Core i5-12600K
CPU Fan: Cooler Master MasterAir MA612 Stealth + LGA1700 mounting brackets.
(I like Noctua, so was thinking more Noctua NH-U12S, but only found LGA1700 brackets for Cooler Master)
Motherboard: ASUS PRIME Z690-P D4
Memory: 2x16 GB Kingston FURY Beast DDR4 3600 MHz
Storage: 1TB Corsair MP600 P RO M.2 SSD (PCIe 4.0, NVMe, 3D QLC NAND, 7000/5500MB, 700 TBW)
PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G6 750W 80 PLUS Gold
Case: be quiet! Pure Base 500 Solid Black

This is ~1200 NOK or $135 / €120 extra compared to AMD alternative. I can live with that if it's actually a better fit for my needs.. Is it better?

I hate that the GFX card becomes half the price of this rig.. Even when it's not top of the line. So calling it budget, even at 1440p, might not be fitting. Trying to find components that performs well compared to the price, and that will work for me for many years forwards.

I'd expect the 12600K to perhaps have an extra year or two of longevity, given that it is already faster at most things, and, it's handful of extra 'E' cores might assist in maintaining the CPUs 'usefulness' later...(no certainties there, of course, given that some games actually perform better with all E-cores disabled in 12900K testing)...

humbe

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2007

Sounds interesting, but I would not be surprised if the new products were not in stock here, or priced so expensive that I'd end up getting previous gen with possibly a slight rebate anyhow..

Have ordered the GFX card now, before it goes out of stock again, and the PSU and case that I'll be getting from the same location, but awaiting a bit to order rest.. Though I originally was waiting for geforce 30 series to arrive last year, and then it was out of stock, and then ridiculously priced, which it still is, so already been waiting quite a while ;D Once I get the GPU in the house, I suspect it'll be hard to wait further ;)