[SOLVED] Planning a New AMD Build: Any Suggestions?

Mar 9, 2019
Hello everyone,

I am planning a new AMD build and just thought it would be nice to get suggestions and ideas from those more experienced than myself.

Here is my current part's list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/62xyP3

PC Partpicker says there are no compatibility issues, but I am a little concerned about the RAM. I plan on upgrading to 64 gb in the future for video editing and after checking the compatibility on the ASUS website, there are not many examples of 32 or 64 gb systems on Ryzen as most just use 16 gb for gaming. Maybe it's not as big a deal as I think, but I've had issues with RAM compatibility in the past.

Part Breakdown:
  • CPU: Ryzen 5 2600 (Planning on upgrading in the future)
  • GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 Black Edition
  • RAM: 2x16 G. Skill Ripjaw 3200
  • Mobo: x470 Asus Prime Pro
  • PSU: EVGA SuperNova 650 Gold+
Thank you!

Solution
Thanks for the suggestions! Since I already own a Ryzen 5 2600, I am going to be sticking with that and will upgrade in the future (probably to the Ryzen 7 2700x).

Regarding the motherboard, I am more inclined to stay in the x470 chipset and I like the m.2 heatsink as well as the look of the Prime Pro. Budget isn't a huge deal as well, so I am ok with paying more on a mobo.

I would be willing to get a better cooler than the stock AMD, but I was just planning on trying out the Wraith to see how it would work since I already have it on hand.

My goal is to build a system that has a good upgrade path in the future as well.
The 2600 is a solid choice, I have one and it works great although the stock Wraith "Stealth" cooler was too...

WildCard999

Titan
The issues with memory was pretty much the first generation Ryzen, most of it has been worked out since gen 2. Since your editing video I would change out the CPU to the 1700 as it's $5 cheaper and more cores/threads. I'd also swap out that X470 for a B450 unless there's a feature on the X470 that you need that the B450 doesn't have. Using those savings I was able to get a good aftermarket cooler for overclocking the 1700 and would be much quieter then stock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.40 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1317.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-11 13:47 EDT-0400

All in all it's a good gaming/editing system.

I wouldn't use Ripjaws , I'd go for Corsair LPX.

Any reason why? I have the same kit (2x8gb instead of 32gb) and it works flawlessly with Ryzen.

Mar 9, 2019
The issues with memory was pretty much the first generation Ryzen, most of it has been worked out since gen 2. Since your editing video I would change out the CPU to the 1700 as it's $5 cheaper and more cores/threads. I'd also swap out that X470 for a B450 unless there's a feature on the X470 that you need that the B450 doesn't have. Using those savings I was able to get a good aftermarket cooler for overclocking the 1700 and would be much quieter then stock.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 7 1700 3 GHz 8-Core Processor ($159.89 @ OutletPC)
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master - Hyper 212 Black Edition 42 CFM CPU Cooler ($48.40 @ Walmart)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard ($129.00 @ B&H)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($220.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo Plus 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($127.99 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB Black Video Card ($479.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Phanteks - Eclipse P300 Tempered Glass (Black/White) ATX Mid Tower Case ($55.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G3 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply ($94.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1317.12
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2019-03-11 13:47 EDT-0400

All in all it's a good gaming/editing system.

Any reason why? I have the same kit (2x8gb instead of 32gb) and it works flawlessly with Ryzen.
Thanks for the suggestions! Since I already own a Ryzen 5 2600, I am going to be sticking with that and will upgrade in the future (probably to the Ryzen 7 2700x).

Regarding the motherboard, I am more inclined to stay in the x470 chipset and I like the m.2 heatsink as well as the look of the Prime Pro. Budget isn't a huge deal as well, so I am ok with paying more on a mobo.

I would be willing to get a better cooler than the stock AMD, but I was just planning on trying out the Wraith to see how it would work since I already have it on hand.

My goal is to build a system that has a good upgrade path in the future as well.

WildCard999

Titan

The 2600 is a solid choice, I have one and it works great although the stock Wraith "Stealth" cooler was too loud for my liking but did keep temps within safe ranges. As for futureproof I would wait a few months for the Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs over the 2700X as there going to have some beefy CPU's coming out with some serious boost speeds.

tmllAH1.png

That Ryzen 9 looks amazing!

Solution
Mar 9, 2019
Consider buying your 64gb up front.
Adding ram is not guaranteed to be compatible.

If you are planning to replace your initial 32gb later with 64gb then ok.
I would do 64 gb upfront, but it is just too expensive at the moment (almost triple the price of 32 gb right now).

I won't need 64 gb for some time now, so I may just give it a few years and see if packaged 64 gb of RAM comes down in price. Thanks for the advice, it is helpful.

Mar 9, 2019
The 2600 is a solid choice, I have one and it works great although the stock Wraith "Stealth" cooler was too loud for my liking but did keep temps within safe ranges. As for futureproof I would wait a few months for the Ryzen 3rd gen CPUs over the 2700X as there going to have some beefy CPU's coming out with some serious boost speeds.

tmllAH1.png

That Ryzen 9 looks amazing!
I agree! And it is quite possible the Ryzen 9 will be out and accessible by the time I need to upgrade, in which case I will totally consider it. Excited to see how it launches.

Reactions: Banned by Net