[SOLVED] Planning a new ITX system. Suggestions?

Solution
mITX builds are done pretty much backwards. With conventional ATX you pick any case you want, any cpu, any cooler type, any gpu, any psu etc and just toss it in, very little regard for actual space or limits. Some might quibble over big air use in slimmer cases, but no worries, just use an aio or different air cooler.

mITX is the opposite. Pick your case, sure, then start shopping. Brand, design, performance, all that takes a back seat to size. The smallest cases can only handle the shortest air coolers, such as a Noctua NH-L12 or in many cases even that's too tall and you'd be looking at a Reeves instead. Which means you won't be running a 10900k or 11900k etc, and if you do, it's going to be severely throttled thermally. A 3090 FTW...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
@punkncat because I don't want to overclock. And I already have the K processor from a previous build and want to reuse it. Will using an H mobo with a K processor affect preformance?

Well, perhaps and maybe not. The determiner will be both in relation to the VRM as well as the way the BIOS and power management of the motherboard are designed. There are many motherboard that say they support such and such CPU, but due to the above factors may not perform as well as the CPU can regardless of ability to OC.
IMO (and just my .02) even if you aren't going to utilize the ability comparing chipsets based on power delivery in the lower end Z chipset may be desirable.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
mITX builds are done pretty much backwards. With conventional ATX you pick any case you want, any cpu, any cooler type, any gpu, any psu etc and just toss it in, very little regard for actual space or limits. Some might quibble over big air use in slimmer cases, but no worries, just use an aio or different air cooler.

mITX is the opposite. Pick your case, sure, then start shopping. Brand, design, performance, all that takes a back seat to size. The smallest cases can only handle the shortest air coolers, such as a Noctua NH-L12 or in many cases even that's too tall and you'd be looking at a Reeves instead. Which means you won't be running a 10900k or 11900k etc, and if you do, it's going to be severely throttled thermally. A 3090 FTW or other 3 slot card? Forget it.

My mITX was reduced to finding components with MM of clearance, which meant using certain components, regardless of my wants or desires. But the end result is a full cpu/gpu custom loop with 2x 240mm rads in something the size of a shoebox. Took 6 months and more of planning, testing, researching, designing, starting over, beginning again.

It's mITX, be prepared to think like a woman and change your mind a hundred times per component, just because it simply will not work as intended.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
You have to think of Everything in mITX. For my use, being Ryzen, a B550i would work just fine, normally. But, as @punkncat explained, there are things to be considered about VRM's and their use too. I knew airflow would be miserable, case is packed to the gills, so the VRM's are going to suffer badly and the passive heatsinks on B550i mobo's would be a factor. That meant using X570i instead, since they offer active cooling, tiny fans on the heatsinks, for the chipset and VRM's.

I can't stress enough, research. And then more research. Every youtube, every forum post, every build log, every question on temps, airflow, fitment, sizes, clearances, equipment, vertical vs horizontal gpus, cable needs, everything.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
FInd the case you want first, then go to PCPartpicker and find completed builds using that case.
That's not going to work out well. mITX is a niche product and many of the best mITX cases are not on pcpartpicker.com, because they aren't sold in newegg or Amazon, you'll only find some of the more widely advertised cases there. But it can be a start.

Best bet is Google. Find places like Optimum Tech, pcmag, ign, pc case gear, techinfluencer etc who do 'best mITX cases' etc. You'll need to start with researching case designs, who uses split cases with seperate gpus and riser cables and who uses more standard cases, which are fully modular, which aren't etc and then with that 'idea' of what you want the end result to be, start aggressively researching that design.

My case is an nCase M1 v6.1, originally a very small outfit, but since picked up and built by Lian-Li. CoolerMaster now has an almost identical clone, that's cheaper, but I prefer the Lian-Li quality and construction. Jayz2cents has done a video on the CM design, Optimum Tech has done several on the nCase. This is where the majority of ideas will come from, seeing it in practical usage, actually seeing what is recommended and almost universally used, and why.

larsv8

Distinguished
That's not going to work out well. mITX is a niche product and many of the best mITX cases are not on pcpartpicker.com, because they aren't sold in newegg or Amazon, you'll only find some of the more widely advertised cases there. But it can be a start.

Best bet is Google. Find places like Optimum Tech, pcmag, ign, pc case gear, techinfluencer etc who do 'best mITX cases' etc. You'll need to start with researching case designs, who uses split cases with seperate gpus and riser cables and who uses more standard cases, which are fully modular, which aren't etc and then with that 'idea' of what you want the end result to be, start aggressively researching that design.

My case is an nCase M1 v6.1, originally a very small outfit, but since picked up and built by Lian-Li. CoolerMaster now has an almost identical clone, that's cheaper, but I prefer the Lian-Li quality and construction. Jayz2cents has done a video on the CM design, Optimum Tech has done several on the nCase. This is where the majority of ideas will come from, seeing it in practical usage, actually seeing what is recommended and almost universally used, and why.

Worked out well for me :)