[SOLVED] Planning for a silly super future proofed desktop

Jul 10, 2020
So I would like to build what I call a "marathon" desktop and see if I can get this computer to be relevant for 20 years.

This is because my 2008 build of a Q6600, 8GB, 8800GT, Blu-ray drive is still very usable 12 years later as a HTPC for web browsing, YouTube, TV, movies, etc because of an SSD and GPU upgrade due to component failure.

I am quite amused that this 2008 desktop is still highly usable for non gaming tasks, because I coincidentally caught multiple small "revolutions" in computing that made the computer very future proof, the first quad core processor, the 8800GT was a beast, PCI E 2.0 allow even current gen GPUs to be used, and blu ray, all came out at the same time in 2008.

I want to build another super future proof computer for amusement and see how long it can be relevant, especially since hardware progress has slowed so much now.

I'm not in a rush to build this. I'd like some advice on when I should build to future proof as much as possible.

I'm thinking I should build my computer when Zen 4 is released in 2022. The reason is because the following technologies will all simultaneously be out
  1. First 5nm CPU from AMD, and I should be able to get a 16 or 24 core for $500
  2. Introduction of DDR5 RAM: should allow expansion to 256GB or more. Get 64GB first, upgrade to 256GB years later when DDR5 RAM is cheap.
  3. 16k support with Displayport 2.0 (because realistically after 10+ years this will only be used as a HTPC for a 8k/16k TV for light tasks)
  4. USB 4
  5. PCI E 5.0 ensures future GPUs can be used with no performance loss
I think what I really wanna see is how long can a CPU/MB/RAM combo last me, since other stuff like SSD, GPU die pretty quickly and have to be replaced every few years anyways. It's just easier and cheaper to replace broken components rather than build a new computer.

Any recommendations, advice? Thank you

Last edited:
Solution
Zen 4 will be released in 2021. There has been no indication that USB 4 and PCIE 5.0 will be out or ubiquitous by 2022. PCIe 4.0 is JUST starting to show up in equipment. No GPUs can even vaguely saturate it. Its going to be around for a long while.

The truth is there is no way to plan to maximize your time. The best time for that is to buy your system the exact moment the newest stuff comes out and pay a premium for it. That will get you the most time out of it.

You're asking us to predict the future of technology on this forum. If we could do that we certainly would be making a hell of a lot more money, and probably not bothering to post here.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Zen 4 will be released in 2021. There has been no indication that USB 4 and PCIE 5.0 will be out or ubiquitous by 2022. PCIe 4.0 is JUST starting to show up in equipment. No GPUs can even vaguely saturate it. Its going to be around for a long while.

The truth is there is no way to plan to maximize your time. The best time for that is to buy your system the exact moment the newest stuff comes out and pay a premium for it. That will get you the most time out of it.

You're asking us to predict the future of technology on this forum. If we could do that we certainly would be making a hell of a lot more money, and probably not bothering to post here.

Reactions: Phaaze88
Solution