Build Advice Planning new gaming computer

Jun 4, 2019
Hello to everyone.Last time that I planned a computer was 7 years ago,so I don t remember so much about components,and to be honest I have no more time to check constantly hardware.
I would like to to plan a new computer to play. I play action-adventure and strategical games.I am also working in c-sharp. I spent most of the day time on the computer.
My budget is around 1300-1400 euro.
I need all new pc components and a new monitor(no keyboard,no mouse).
I have no problem to use different companies as AMD,NVIDiA.
Thanks to everyone!

Tony_186

Honorable
Jun 3, 2017
The best bet is to wait for the Ryzen 3000 series chips as prices of older gens and intel competitors will drop. For the rest of the build I would suggest this:
This is what I would buy and everything on the list can be changed if you would like.
there is enough money left to get a decent monitor and new Ryzen 3000 series CPU, although win 10 isn't included in the list.
If you would like a CPU you can buy now just comment.
:)

Last edited:
Reactions: AmiEste
Jun 4, 2019
Guys,I cannot see some of your lists. About this new AMD serie,If I will buy some of the new cpu (I think 6 or 8 core) ,are the current motherboards ok for them?I remember that sometimes I have seen people buyng ultra pro CPU,but motherboards were not of the same level,so indeed the PC was not ultraperforming.
Thanks to all

X470 with decent VRMS should support the 3000 series of ryzen.
Gigabyte Aorous or AsRock Tachi. Are a couple of decent boards in X470.

Also @jostegogar, your list does not contain any information.
They are supposed to support them, but a big red flag is the x570 chipsets needing a fan on them. I wouldn't chance it and would at least wait until tests/benchmarks are out to confirm this.

Jun 4, 2019
yeah,but around the 1 week of august I would like to have all ready. Because then i will move away,so I wanted before to create the computer in my favourite city shop. If I will wait just the new cpu series,maybe I will be in time.But I am not sure that there will be enough time to see how motherboards will react with this new serie.

yeah,but around the 1 week of august I would like to have all ready. Because then i will move away,so I wanted before to create the computer in my favourite city shop. If I will wait just the new cpu series,maybe I will be in time.But I am not sure that there will be enough time to see how motherboards will react with this new serie.
Going second gen Ryzen wouldn't be a bad choice now. Especially how much the prices have come down which will allow extra budget to other areas of your build.

g-unit1111

Titan
Guys,I cannot see some of your lists. About this new AMD serie,If I will buy some of the new cpu (I think 6 or 8 core) ,are the current motherboards ok for them?I remember that sometimes I have seen people buyng ultra pro CPU,but motherboards were not of the same level,so indeed the PC was not ultraperforming.
Thanks to all

Usually when we're this close to a new CPU release, in this case it's the Ryzen 3000 series, you're going to get a lot of "wait for the next generation" types of replies. It's a better idea to wait until the reviewers have had a chance to thoroughly stress test the CPUs and put them through their paces. At least on AM4 you can run your current motherboard with the new CPU but it will require a CPU in order to flash the BIOS and update the BIOS to the current version.

Jun 4, 2019
So guys here my final idea
Cpu- Ryzen 5 3600 6 core
Video- GForce RTX 2070 8GB
Motherboard- Gigabyte x570 rev 1.0
Ram- G.skill ripjaws V ddr4-dimm 288pin-cl16-3200 mhz-pc4-25600 16 GB
HD- Toshiba p300 1TB
SSD- Samsung 500gb 860 EVO
Power supply- EVGA 650w 80 Gold SuperNova G3

Case...still dunno.

What about the cooling system for cpu? I would like something from Noctua,but dunno what can be good for this new cpu and this motherboard .

Always thans for your help

Last edited:
So guys here my final idea
Cpu- Ryzen 5 3600 6 core
Video- GForce RTX 2070 8GB
Motherboard- Gigabyte x570 rev 1.0
Ram- G.skill ripjaws V ddr4-dimm 288pin-cl16-3200 mhz-pc4-25600
HD- Toshiba p300 1TB
SSD- Samsung 500gb 860 EVO
Power supply- EVGA 650w 80 Gold

Case...still dunno.

What about the cooling system for cpu? I would like something from Noctua,but dunno what can be good for this new cpu and this motherboard .

Always thans for your help

I don't know much about c-sharp. Do you know the hardware requirements? Lots of RAM?

The RTX 2070 Super is better, so only get the 2070 if you are getting a good discount.

The older X470 and B450 MB's will be fine with the 3600 as long as the bios have been updated, and will save you some money.

How much RAM?

Hey, it's almost 2020! No need for a 1 TB HDD. Get a 1 TB WD 3D/Samsung 3D or Crucial MX500 SSD.

What model EVGA PSU?

Do you want a case that fits your preferred heatsink or a heatsink that fits your preferred case? The Ryzen does come with a decent heatsink so I would use that.

Jun 4, 2019
I really don t have for now any preferred case, I like to have in general idea front fan and front buttons (not on the top)

About SSD you are right, it s better that I will get from the start 1 TB .

Power supply is EVGA supernova G3- Ram will be 16 GB that for c-sharp (about what i am doing) should be enough!

I am worried that then I will need a cooling system,and don t return to my favourite shop too many times,because it s pretty far from my home
Thanks a lot!

I really don t have for now any preferred case, I like to have in general idea front fan and front buttons (not on the top)

About SSD you are right, it s better that I will get from the start 1 TB .

Power supply is EVGA supernova G3- Ram will be 16 GB that for c-sharp (about what i am doing) should be enough!

I am worried that then I will need a cooling system,and don t return to my favourite shop too many times,because it s pretty far from my home
Thanks a lot!

Maybe one of these cases:

Case budget? Window? RGB?

The EVGA G2 seems to be preferred due to additional protections, but I think the G3 is fine.

The 3600 comes with the stealth cooler which is reportedly decent. Instead of spending the money on an additional cooler, maybe consider the 3600X which comes with the spire cooler which is reportedly pretty good. If you are aiming for a silent build, then the Hyper 212 Black or Gammax GT are good, and the Mugen 5 Rev. B is better.

The 1 TB SSD is to take the place of the 1 TB Toshiba. 500 GB is fine for your C-drive.

Jun 4, 2019
Maybe one of these cases:

Case budget? Window? RGB?

The EVGA G2 seems to be preferred due to additional protections, but I think the G3 is fine.

The 3600 comes with the stealth cooler which is reportedly decent. Instead of spending the money on an additional cooler, maybe consider the 3600X which comes with the spire cooler which is reportedly pretty good. If you are aiming for a silent build, then the Hyper 212 Black or Gammax GT are good, and the Mugen 5 Rev. B is better.

The 1 TB SSD is to take the place of the 1 TB Toshiba. 500 GB is fine for your C-drive.

Yes I will go on 500 GB HD.
I have found in the shop Mugen available,so i will get it.
Case budget...well under 100$ for sure, I would like something around 70-80$, I like windows on modern case,but nothing change for me.

Thanks a lot for the help!

You will get many recommendations for the new ryzen 3000 series processor.
Many many threads for not much.
But, from the reviews I see, Intel is still up front for gaming.
That is because most games can not take good advantage of more than 4 threads.
I think that is particularly true for sims, mmo and strategy games which tend to be cpu intensive and depend on good single thread performance.

Depending on your budget, I think perhaps a 6 thread i5-9600K or 8 thread i7-9700K will be the best along with a Z390 based motherboard.
Budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
If in doubt about the graphics card, buy a EVGA card .
They have a 90 day free upgrade option if you should decide you need something stronger.

Consider the case carefully. Looks count. Buy a case you love, it will be with you for a very long time.
Past looks, my criteria would be good front intake capability.
That would be at least two 120/140mm front intakes. If they are filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
I like 160mm available for an air cooler.
An example might be the Coolermaster H500
https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-cooler-master-mastercase-h500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119350

Avoid liquid cooling.
In a good case, a tower type air cooler will perform just as well, be less expensive, quieter, require no maintenance, be easier to install, and... will never leak.

Buy a SSD for windows. 500 or even 1tb. Samsung evo would be my choice for performance and reliability.
One can always add a HDD for bulk storage later.
On a budget, bypass the pcie versions which are more expensive.

The monitor is another long term purchase.
For your type of games, pick a larger IPS panel.
You get better image quality and sufficient performance.
tn panels are best for fast action shooters.

650w psu will run any modern graphics card. The evga g3 is a good unit.
An alternative might be Seasonic focus.

Reactions: Bearmann
You will get many recommendations for the new ryzen 3000 series processor.
Many many threads for not much.
But, from the reviews I see, Intel is still up front for gaming.
That is because most games can not take good advantage of more than 4 threads.
I think that is particularly true for sims, mmo and strategy games which tend to be cpu intensive and depend on good single thread performance.

Depending on your budget, I think perhaps a 6 thread i5-9600K or 8 thread i7-9700K will be the best along with a Z390 based motherboard.
Budget about 2x the cost of your processor for the graphics card.
If in doubt about the graphics card, buy a EVGA card .
They have a 90 day free upgrade option if you should decide you need something stronger.

Consider the case carefully. Looks count. Buy a case you love, it will be with you for a very long time.
Past looks, my criteria would be good front intake capability.
That would be at least two 120/140mm front intakes. If they are filtered, your parts will stay cleaner.
I like 160mm available for an air cooler.
An example might be the Coolermaster H500
https://www.newegg.com/gunmetal-cooler-master-mastercase-h500-atx-mid-tower/p/N82E16811119350

Avoid liquid cooling.
In a good case, a tower type air cooler will perform just as well, be less expensive, quieter, require no maintenance, be easier to install, and... will never leak.

Buy a SSD for windows. 500 or even 1tb. Samsung evo would be my choice for performance and reliability.
One can always add a HDD for bulk storage later.
On a budget, bypass the pcie versions which are more expensive.

The monitor is another long term purchase.
For your type of games, pick a larger IPS panel.
You get better image quality and sufficient performance.
tn panels are best for fast action shooters.

650w psu will run any modern graphics card. The evga g3 is a good unit.
An alternative might be Seasonic focus.

Here is a nice review of multiple processors. The Ryzen 3600 is probably still the winner at it's price level, but you need to add in the MB and the optional third party heatsink for the total cost. At the high end, Intel again takes the cake.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjSiLbCtHU[/URL]"]www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GjSiLbCtHU[/URL]

Jun 4, 2019
I need to choose the monitor actually. Budget is not so good, around 300$...
I play a lot of action games,absolutly no shooting.
I would like something with 22``.
But for now I am pretty confused. I tried to go to ask in 2 different big shops,everyone has a different idea, or maybe they just try to advise me about some monitor in sale that is time to sell.
Any good raccomandation? If my budget is too low,I will wait few months:confused_old:

I need to choose the monitor actually. Budget is not so good, around 300$...
I play a lot of action games,absolutly no shooting.
I would like something with 22``.
But for now I am pretty confused. I tried to go to ask in 2 different big shops,everyone has a different idea, or maybe they just try to advise me about some monitor in sale that is time to sell.
Any good raccomandation? If my budget is too low,I will wait few months:confused_old:

Exactly 22 inches, or is 24 or 27 inches OK too?

There are a lot of nice cases. Here are some to consider: