[SOLVED] Planning new gaming PC but can't decide between intel or AMD ?

GizmoMKD

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
Hey Guys,

I need your help over deciding for best performance and stability for gaming: Here are options:

Intel:
  1. Intel Core i7-11700 - 422 eur
  2. Gigabyte Z590 D LGA1200 - 157 eur
    ASUS PRIME Z590-P - 195 eur
AMD:
  1. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 487 eur
  2. Gigabyte B550 AORUS ELITE V2 AM4 - 157 eur
Comparing both system which one is better for gaming? both will use 16GB compatible RAM rest of the components... looking for opinions and why? prices are similar :)

Last edited:
Solution
https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-intel-core-i7-11700k

Have a look at that. They even say there towards the bottom it's a tie, but have this snippet.

"Here's the tale of the tape: The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs Intel Core i7-11700K battle boils down to a four-to-five victory in favor of the Ryzen 7 5800X, but that win comes with plenty of caveats. "

What are you running for GPU? The article also talks about the 5600x being a great value for gaming. So maybe you save and get a better gpu?

Both are going to be great, sounds like you can't go wrong with either one. I personally have been using AMD for years and definitely like the Ryzen chips. I do use Intel chips though at work, since most Dells we order...
Hey Guys,

I need your help over deciding for best performance and stability for gaming: Here are options:

Intel:
  1. Intel Core i7-10700KF - 308 eur
AMD:
  1. Ryzen 5 5600X - 350 eur
Comparing both system which one is better for gaming? both will use 16GB compatible RAM rest of the components... looking for opinions and why? prices are similar :)
I would skip Gigabyte for Ryzen system, look at Asus only. Otherwise I doubt you would see any difference between those two systems.

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
I'd go with the i7.

Here's my reasoning: a lot of games nowadays are very GPU bound so CPU doesn't matter much. The frame rate difference between those two CPUs are laughable.
Then Intel have two more cores than AMD does and that will help with multi-threaded workloads.
Then there's the PCIe 4 support. PCIe 4 doesn't matter for the average guy and unless you transfer huge files (like 20>GB every minute) PCIe 4 storage won't really benefit you.

Reactions: GizmoMKD

GizmoMKD

Distinguished
May 29, 2014
I'd go with the i7.

Here's my reasoning: a lot of games nowadays are very GPU bound so CPU doesn't matter much. The frame rate difference between those two CPUs are laughable.
Then Intel have two more cores than AMD does and that will help with multi-threaded workloads.
Then there's the PCIe 4 support. PCIe 4 doesn't matter for the average guy and unless you transfer huge files (like 20>GB every minute) PCIe 4 storage won't really benefit you.
but both of them support PCIe 4.0?

jasonf2

Distinguished
You can't go wrong with either. The Intel will probably give a little better cpu performance, with the tradeoff of only being pci 3. The I7 is sporting two more cores (8 vs 6) and also has a higher boost frequency (5.10 Ghz vs 4.6). Looking at the userbench spec ( https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m1171560vs4084 ) real world looks to be within about 10 fps so they are so close that I think it is more of a preference than a spec thing. The Intel will be more power hungry. The PCI thing seems like a big deal but honestly nothing but the very top end SSDs are bumping bandwidth with the 3.0 spec, which with your price point choice I doubt you will end up purchasing. I think in a personal build I would probably go with the Intel. It is a little cheaper, gives you two more cores to use if you do a little heavy lifting and has a better base/boost frequency for lighter loads.

BIOS, poorly supported.

I've had no issues with my Aorus B550 board...but this is the first Gigabyte board I've run in many years so maybe they've improved on some recent quality issues ?

As far as the OP question at this point either system will be a solid choice for a gaming rig. If your plan is to buy a 3090 or 6900xt then go for the extra cores...any GPU below those two and the choice between the two CPUs will make no noticeable difference at all in your gaming experience.

Last edited:

Howardohyea

Commendable
May 13, 2021
You can't go wrong with either. The Intel will probably give a little better cpu performance, with the tradeoff of only being pci 3. The I7 is sporting two more cores (8 vs 6) and also has a higher boost frequency (5.10 Ghz vs 4.6). Looking at the userbench spec ( https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-10700KF-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-5600X/m1171560vs4084 ) real world looks to be within about 10 fps so they are so close that I think it is more of a preference than a spec thing. The Intel will be more power hungry. The PCI thing seems like a big deal but honestly nothing but the very top end SSDs are bumping bandwidth with the 3.0 spec, which with your price point choice I doubt you will end up purchasing. I think in a personal build I would probably go with the Intel. It is a little cheaper, gives you two more cores to use if you do a little heavy lifting and has a better base/boost frequency for lighter loads.
I say this a lot on Tom's Hardware Forums but please don't use Userbenchmark for benchmarking. They are insanely biased against AMD and will manage to find a way to screw up AMD's processors no matter how fast Zen 3 is. Even Paul Alcorn's CPU hierarchy is 10 times better than Userbenchmark

jasonf2

Distinguished
I say this a lot on Tom's Hardware Forums but please don't use Userbenchmark for benchmarking. They are insanely biased against AMD and will manage to find a way to screw up AMD's processors no matter how fast Zen 3 is. Even Paul Alcorn's CPU hierarchy is 10 times better than Userbenchmark
That is great, but these chips are still going to be toe to toe in performance at price point. One has more cores, a little better clock and worse IPC while the other has quite a bit better IPC with less cores and boost frequency. It is just the current state of Intel vs AMD right now. All benchmarks tend to have favorites depending on who optimized to the bench better, but at least it gives some relative indicator to work from. I would rather see this than someone just rambling about how great AMD or Intel is.

Last edited:

Fiorezy

Notable
Jul 3, 2020
i7 vs R5
308€ vs 350€
8c/16t vs 6c/12t
5.1Ghz vs 4.6Ghz
PCIe 3 vs 4
no stock cooler vs Wraith Stealth, but you will still need to buy an aftermarket cooler for the R5 as the WS is garbage
slightly better performance in gaming for the i7

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
It's best to use the games you play as benchmarks, pick 3-5. Search Youtube, compare FPS, 1% low etc. Search for systems with same CPU and GPU as you plan to buy and especially same RAM speed (3600 Mhz) on Ryzen since that is quite important. Intel CPU doesn't care as much about RAM speed.
You can't really compare clockspeed, Intel vs AMD CPUs, that hasn't been a valid comparison since at least the 2000s. Remember AMD XP processors? Slower clocks than Intel but more performance nonetheless. Different designs.

As long as both platforms (Intel/AMD) provide the features you need and want, it's personal preference in the end.
I just happen to choose AMD every time =).

Why the KF exactly? Have you considered the 10850K? Looks like 100 euro more than KF. 10850K is almost better than 11th gen i9 as far as I understand, but, half the price. More cores, basically same speed and IPC in comparison to 11900K.

logainofhades

Titan
updated CPUs to
Intel Core i7-11700
AMD Ryzen 7 5800X

both supports PCIe 4.0

I would choose the 5800x. Consumes less power, and is a bit faster.

I disagree, I have an Aorus X570 Ultra and have had zero problems with it. It's actually been one of the better motherboards I've ever had.

Yea I have the x570 Arous Pro Wifi ITX board, with a 5800x, and a B550 Elite V2, running my 3700x, that the 5800x replaced. Built a system with the same ITX board, and another with an X570 Pro Wifi ATX board. I know one of our fellow mods has the same ITX board, as I do, for his racing sim machine.

g-unit1111

Titan
Yea I have the x570 Arous Pro Wifi ITX board, with a 5800x, and a B550 Elite V2, running my 3700x, that the 5800x replaced. Built a system with the same ITX board, and another with an X570 Pro Wifi ATX board. I know one of our fellow mods has the same ITX board, as I do, for his racing sim machine.

Yeah I'm buying the newer version of that ITX board as soon as it's available.

Hey Guys,

Intel:
  1. Intel Core i7-11700 - 422 eur
    ASUS PRIME Z590-P - 195 eur
AMD:
  1. AMD Ryzen 7 5800X - 487 eur
You have a locked cpu and a Z590 board. Normally those locked cpu's are paired up with either a H570/B560 board. If you already have a gpu you can save even more money by going with an 11700F. What country are you located?

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I'd go with the i7.

I was going to say you were incorrect about the cores, but then I noticed the OP modified his original post. @GizmoMKD in the future maybe just add on to the post, or don't even change it and just go with your replies, otherwise it can be confusing to people coming into the thread.

However regarding PCIe 4.0

no, only 11th gen intel supports it

That is incorrect, Ryzen has supported PCIe 4.0 since Zen 2 and X570 came out.

BIOS, poorly supported.

Any proof for this baseless claim?

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/amd-ryzen-7-5800x-vs-intel-core-i7-11700k

Have a look at that. They even say there towards the bottom it's a tie, but have this snippet.

"Here's the tale of the tape: The AMD Ryzen 7 5800X vs Intel Core i7-11700K battle boils down to a four-to-five victory in favor of the Ryzen 7 5800X, but that win comes with plenty of caveats. "

What are you running for GPU? The article also talks about the 5600x being a great value for gaming. So maybe you save and get a better gpu?

Both are going to be great, sounds like you can't go wrong with either one. I personally have been using AMD for years and definitely like the Ryzen chips. I do use Intel chips though at work, since most Dells we order come with those installed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS