Planning on an X2

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Well I finally waited long enough to build another PC. This time will be budget unlimited to a certain extent. I want the X2, but with doing some searching I have come to the conclusion that the X2 4400+ will be the best value. The reason why I think so is because of the 1MB cache and clocked at only 2.2Ghz. If I can OC this bad boy 200Mhz more, I will have a 4800+ with almost half the price. My question is this, have people been fortunate enough to get that clockspeed with plain air cooling, im guessing yes, and I should be in better shape because of the larger die surface, correct? or is the 90mn dually the same size as a 130mn single core. Anyways any coments would be appreciated.

Mike

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Great link thank you. They say the same thing about the X2 4400+. Although they didnt have a 4400+ sample at the time to OC but im sure it will. One other point I would like to bring up. Would I have to lower my HT link for a measly 200mhz OC or can I just leave it at 5x?? Thanks

Mike

mr_gobbledegook

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2001
Are you sure you really need an X2 ? Buy not buy a motherboard that supports X2 and buy a normal Athlon64 ? Upgrade to an X2 later when they are cheaper.

<font color=purple>Ladies and Gentlemen, its...Hammer Time !</font color=purple>

thematrixhazuneo

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2005
Well currently I have a 3500+ and will be giving that to someone. So I might as well get bragging rights and buy the X2. I love having the newest stuff anyways. I understand where your coming from though. Plus I want to see for myself how it feels like to run 2-3 different programs at once and not have to sucum(sp?) the long wait that comes with single core. Im so exited the X2 4400+ is on its way!

Mike

Atolsammeek

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I would wait on Eather Amd or Intel dual core cpus. Why Price.

I like to upgrade ever x2 the speed of my old system so I can save money here and there.