[SOLVED] Planning on buying a AIO cooler

Sep 13, 2019
Hello, ive decided to buy a AIO Cooler to my amd cpu since a normal fan cant handle the heat.

Ive decided on the "Corsair H100i RGB Platinum", my only concern is if it'll fit in my case (i have a "Phanteks P400s") do you guys think it will?

Help is appreciated.

Solution
Because liquid isn't magic cooling. A 200w rated AIO has exactly the same cooling potential as a 200w rated aircooler. Same applies for any size, a 120mm AIO like the Corsair H60 is rated at @ 140w and gets identical cooling to a 140w rated CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo.

The differences between fans and efficiency is what gives lower or higher temps in any capacity range, a Noctua will more than likely get lower temps and lower noise simply due to better fans and heatsink design at the same wattage as an Acme Cooler with uber cheap, made in Taiwan fans.

Capacity and performance are not the same thing.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
How come?
Ryzen 3000, right?
Yours would be one of many threads like this - having been caught completely off-guard by it's completely new behavior. It can't be compared to Intel's cpus and not even the older Ryzens.
At all times, these cpus try to boost towards their max boost clock depending on temperatures.
The biggest difference between your current cooling and that AIO is going to be the frequencies; for example, 4.2ghz on the current cooler VS 4.3ghz on the new one.

Your current case presents a hard choke point for airflow in it's front panel. Too bad it doesn't support top mounted radiators...
Airflow is already choked in the front. Adding a rad in the front adds even more.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Because liquid isn't magic cooling. A 200w rated AIO has exactly the same cooling potential as a 200w rated aircooler. Same applies for any size, a 120mm AIO like the Corsair H60 is rated at @ 140w and gets identical cooling to a 140w rated CoolerMaster Hyper212 Evo.

The differences between fans and efficiency is what gives lower or higher temps in any capacity range, a Noctua will more than likely get lower temps and lower noise simply due to better fans and heatsink design at the same wattage as an Acme Cooler with uber cheap, made in Taiwan fans.

Capacity and performance are not the same thing.

Solution

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
So. That means getting to the root of exactly why you feel you should buy liquid cooling over air. Me personally, I'll always choose liquid cooling if given the option, I much prefer the looks and openness of the motherboard, lack of covering up rgb ram, no restrictions on what ram, the fact aios come with extra fans I don't have to buy, most aios even have tailorable software for fan speed controls so I don't have to rely on the basic bios functions. But thats MY preference, I'll spend more to get what I want.

What you buy is more important than whatever you buy. Buy a good performance aio will be better than a miserable performance aircooler or vice versa. I'd not purchase a cheaper 'lite' version at half the price of an older nzxt Kraken X61 for instance.

So, why liquid?

The p400s can fit upto a 360mm or 280mm aio on front, so cooling potential isn't limited by size. Airflow is not so much a major factor for the pc on general, the gpu is the only component with any concerns. A difference between aircooling and liquid cooling, aircooling needs air Flow because the cpu cooler/gpu relies on case ambient air for cooling, a front mounted liquid cooler does not.

Last edited: