[SOLVED] Planning on buying a new computer.

castletonsnob

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
My computer is 7-8 years old, and I plan on buying a new one.

What should I look for if I just plan on browsing the internet? What's the price for a good computer?

Solution
Great way to go for your needs. These seem to be a bit more expensive than they were a short while ago, but isn't everything...

Something along these lines should work for basic productivity for a couple more years. In addition to the HP models, it's worthwhile to look at the Dell Optiplex line. 3040/7040/9040 The last 2# suffix is related to the CPU generation and can be changed for older or newer. The smaller form factor models tend to be less expensive.

Make SURE that whatever you are interested in actually includes Windows license. A lot of times the less expensive options will say "Windows 10" but it's just installed without being licensed yet. These refurb deals quickly become a not deal with having to add OS.
As a side to...

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Are you planning on trying to build this yourself, or looking for a prebuilt option?

If you are looking at new either way, to last you for the next 7-8 years, I would probably consider something like the 10600/10700 level Intel with 16GB RAM on a 1TB or larger SSD. It will be far more than capable of surfing, but at the same time isn't obsolete before you buy it.

Reactions: Why_Me

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Great way to go for your needs. These seem to be a bit more expensive than they were a short while ago, but isn't everything...

Something along these lines should work for basic productivity for a couple more years. In addition to the HP models, it's worthwhile to look at the Dell Optiplex line. 3040/7040/9040 The last 2# suffix is related to the CPU generation and can be changed for older or newer. The smaller form factor models tend to be less expensive.

Make SURE that whatever you are interested in actually includes Windows license. A lot of times the less expensive options will say "Windows 10" but it's just installed without being licensed yet. These refurb deals quickly become a not deal with having to add OS.
As a side to this, if you are comfortable buying without OS you can get these things super cheap. Go with one of the Linux flavors and an SSD and you are surfing.

Solution

castletonsnob

Honorable
Feb 11, 2018
Bought a new computer yesterday because my current computer says 100% disk usage, and I’m paranoid that it’s dying.
But my computer’s actually doing well right now, so I’m having second thoughts. But lots of people buy new phones or computers they don’t really need, right?

Reactions: Why_Me