[SOLVED] Planning on buying external USB Hub

Jan 16, 2021
Hello,

I have experienced usb power surge on my non-external(outlet powered) USB Hub, now I am considering new options which should be this Outlet powered external USB Hub, but i am not going to use it for charging, i mainly want to handle it wifi and BL conector, Web camera and USB microphone, so my question is. Will i experience the power surge or other errors as not being able to handle transfering data from all the devices.

Solution
yes, if you are having issues getting enough power and juice to all of your devices then a USB hub with wall power will help and work just fine.

The amount of data that is being passed through the USB is not enough to overload it.
The only things you have that take up a lot of bandwidth are the webcam and wifi adapter/bluetooth adapter.

Everything else will be very small amounts of data.

A single USB 3.0 port should be able to handle it just fine.

Unless, your webcam is a USB 3.0 webcam that does 1080p 60fps or 4K 30fps.
If it's a normal USB 2.0 webcam that does at most 1080p30 then you're fine.

Otherwise you should plug the webcam into it's own USB port.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Can you explain what PC setup you have (desktop or laptop) how many USB ports the system has (what kinds of USB you have as well such as 2.0, 3.0, Type-C, and how many of each) and what all devices you need to plug in?

Because it's possible you don't need an external powered USB hub and something different will get the job done.

Jan 16, 2021
Can you explain what PC setup you have (desktop or laptop) how many USB ports the system has (what kinds of USB you have as well such as 2.0, 3.0, Type-C, and how many of each) and what all devices you need to plug in?

Because it's possible you don't need an external powered USB hub and something different will get the job done.
--Well i have a doual monitor PC setup and i have 400w source,(i have 3 free USB ports and the 4th one will be the external USB HUB)
I will need,
1.KeyBoard,
2.Mouse,
3.WebCam,
4.USB Wifi conector,
5.BL conector,
6.Wireless headphones USB conector,
7.USB microphone,
and maybe ( there should be 3 ports left bcs i am planning on buying one with 7 ports) so i will use them for a charging cable to headphones/PS4 controller/charging station

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
that was a little confusing to read.

I am not quite following what you are saying.

Since this thread seems to be going nowhere and I'm not getting the right information, I guess I can just answer your question directly then.

Your initial post is confusing as well, since there is no such thing as a non-external USB hub that gets external power.
(meaning what you are saying is that you had an internal PCIe card with USB ports on it, and you plugged external power into it)

If this is not what you were saying, then you need to word things better.

If what you were trying to say is that you had a PCIe USB hub, and it fried due to a power surge (which makes no sense to me since your PC power supply should protect against that) and you instead want to get an external USB hub that plugs into a USB port on the PC, then the next thing in your original post was that you are worried about it getting power surged.

If it is the kind that you plug a power adapter into for helping to power USB devices while they are all connected to a single USB port on the PC, then yes, you run the risk of a power surge killing it.

However, that isn't an issue if you are plugging it into a surge protector power strip (which you should always be doing with any of your PC hardware)

If all you plan to connect to the hub are:
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo device
Web Camera
And USB micorphone, then you may not need to get a USB hub that plugs into the wall for external power since the USB port on your PC should be able to deliver enough power for those things by itself (as long as it's not super old and USB 2.0. and it would be best if you had a 3.1 port you could use)

Otherwise, if you plan on plugging more into the hub, and even things like controllers and charging docks for controllers, then you will need to get one that plugs into a wall for external power, and to help protect against any power surges in your home, make sure to use a surge protector.

Jan 16, 2021
that was a little confusing to read.

I am not quite following what you are saying.

Since this thread seems to be going nowhere and I'm not getting the right information, I guess I can just answer your question directly then.

Your initial post is confusing as well, since there is no such thing as a non-external USB hub that gets external power.
(meaning what you are saying is that you had an internal PCIe card with USB ports on it, and you plugged external power into it)

If this is not what you were saying, then you need to word things better.

If what you were trying to say is that you had a PCIe USB hub, and it fried due to a power surge (which makes no sense to me since your PC power supply should protect against that) and you instead want to get an external USB hub that plugs into a USB port on the PC, then the next thing in your original post was that you are worried about it getting power surged.

If it is the kind that you plug a power adapter into for helping to power USB devices while they are all connected to a single USB port on the PC, then yes, you run the risk of a power surge killing it.

However, that isn't an issue if you are plugging it into a surge protector power strip (which you should always be doing with any of your PC hardware)

If all you plan to connect to the hub are:
Wi-Fi/Bluetooth combo device
Web Camera
And USB micorphone, then you may not need to get a USB hub that plugs into the wall for external power since the USB port on your PC should be able to deliver enough power for those things by itself (as long as it's not super old and USB 2.0. and it would be best if you had a 3.1 port you could use)

Otherwise, if you plan on plugging more into the hub, and even things like controllers and charging docks for controllers, then you will need to get one that plugs into a wall for external power, and to help protect against any power surges in your home, make sure to use a surge protector.
Hi Bro, u understood me wrongly so lets keep it simple,

I have a USB hub which is not powered external ( just usb cabel to PC) And i cant connect all of the hardware i need bcs of the power surge

So i want to buy external HUB as well but this time it will be powered external. U got it now?

And my question is, if it will be ok to have all the thing i mentioned pluged in it ( wifi,BL conector, webcam, charger)

If it will work nicely. Because i am not afraid of the power surge anymore. I am just asking anout the data transfering.
Thank you very much.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
yes, if you are having issues getting enough power and juice to all of your devices then a USB hub with wall power will help and work just fine.

The amount of data that is being passed through the USB is not enough to overload it.
The only things you have that take up a lot of bandwidth are the webcam and wifi adapter/bluetooth adapter.

Solution
Jan 16, 2021

Thanks bro that was all I needed to know, u are awesome, thanks again a lot.💜