Planning on installing a Samsung 960 EVO SSD, do I need to buy anything else (eg. new adapter)?

sebiarp

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017
I built my computer this summer, now planning to get an SSD for it, afaik the Samsung 960 EVO 250GB SSD is perfectly compatible with my B250M PRO-VH motherboard, it even has some kinda upgraded M.2 connection, at least that's what's said on it's website.

So my question is, do I need any adapters or basicly anything for this kind of SSD or I just insert it to the M.2 slot like I insert the RAM in it's own place and it's done? I only used HDD's since ever, so this will be my first one, forgive my ignorance.

I checked the ways of clean installing my OS to an SSD, so I'll be fine with that part, so the above question is the only thing I'm curious about. Thanks in advance for the answers.

Solution
should have no issues. the board and drive are compatible. you may need the driver for the SSD during the OS install, so have it ready.
enjoy the system.

when installing windows make sure the SSD is the only connected drive, windows likes to spread out files needed for boot, doing this will force all necessary files will be on the one drive.

R_1

Expert
Ambassador
should have no issues. the board and drive are compatible. you may need the driver for the SSD during the OS install, so have it ready.
enjoy the system.

when installing windows make sure the SSD is the only connected drive, windows likes to spread out files needed for boot, doing this will force all necessary files will be on the one drive.

Solution

sebiarp

Prominent
Dec 6, 2017

Thanks for the tips! About the driver tho: when I'll be installing Win 10 onto the new SSD I'll be doing it from an USB since there are no CD/DVD drives in my computer. Can I just download and put the SSD's driver on a second pendrive in case I need it while installing the OS?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

yes.
you may not need the driver, windows 10 may be ready to go. windows 7/8 will have issue and will need driver