Planning on moving from a stock Alienware. (only keeping drives and CPU) Anything I should be aware of?

andrewman447

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015
NZXT H440 is the case I'm planning on moving to. I am only planning on keeping my drives (3TB Hard drive with windows on it and 128gb SSD with a few games) and my CPU (Intel Core i7 4930K Ivy Bridge-E) I want to switch from the stock alienware motherboard. I'm trying to stay away from alienware as much as possible. So I could just replace the motherboard and boot windows off of my drive I already have? And I'm going to get a GTX 980 Ti Asus Strix. 16GB HyperX DDR4 RAM, and a 1000 watt EVGA PSU (EVGA 220-P2-1000-XR 80 PLUS Platinum 1000 W) So I could install everything like making a new PC but then just plug my hard drive in and boot Windows? Is it that easy or not?

Thanks in advance

Solution
I would recommend, copy whatever is on the SSD to something else.

Then reinstall the OS to the SSD w/ HD data cable unplugged. This will allow you to have windows load with the correct drivers for your new hardware, instead of trying to load drivers fro hardware that isn't there. Then reconnect the data cable.

NOTE: Reinstalling the OS (assumed Windows 7) which is likely an OEM copy will often cause problems, tho if the MoBo failed, you should be entitled to a ree-activation. Retail copies won't be so encumbered.

Assuming C:\ was the 3 TB and D:\ was SSD, then copy the stuff that was on the SSD to the Hard Drive which will now be D:\ drive and they should all work fine. For any programs on the HD, you will need to reinstall them...

andrewman447

Reputable
Oct 10, 2015

Would you reccommend windows 7 or 10? 8 or 8.1 is not a choice for me. didnt like it at all.

I would recommend, copy whatever is on the SSD to something else.

Then reinstall the OS to the SSD w/ HD data cable unplugged. This will allow you to have windows load with the correct drivers for your new hardware, instead of trying to load drivers fro hardware that isn't there. Then reconnect the data cable.

NOTE: Reinstalling the OS (assumed Windows 7) which is likely an OEM copy will often cause problems, tho if the MoBo failed, you should be entitled to a ree-activation. Retail copies won't be so encumbered.

Assuming C:\ was the 3 TB and D:\ was SSD, then copy the stuff that was on the SSD to the Hard Drive which will now be D:\ drive and they should all work fine. For any programs on the HD, you will need to reinstall them over themselves to set up registry entries. Here's my approach:

Old HD

C:\ProgramFiles\Adobe\Program 1
C:\ProgramFiles\Adobe\Program 2
C:\ProgramFiles\AutoDesk\Program 1

Once Windows is on C:\ (SSD), then HD becomes D:\ so copy paste the programs from Programsfiles folder so ya have

D:\Adobe\Program 1
D:\Adobe\Program 2
D:\AutoDesk\Program 1

and so on....if ya not worried about saving all your program customizations, you can just delete the folders oin D:\ and reinstall. The reinstall over the HD files won't write over any newer files so anything you did regarding preferences and toolbars will be kept.

Before pulling the trigger...

1. Good comparison video on the case here:

Solution

Ray Tsou

Honorable
Sep 22, 2014

Personally, I like 10. But it's down to personal preference. I have friends who love 10 and friends who refuse to upgrade. If you are used to 7 and don't feel like upgrading, then don't. If you don't care about Microsoft creeping on you and want the extra performance benefit, or you plan on using the pc for more than 5 years, then go with 10.

I would take 7.... that gives you 2 licenses. You can try 10 and then if you no likie and want to go back, you have the option to restore 7. Get Win10 and that option doesn't exist.

1. Make yourself away of the issues regarding Win 10, which are mainly:

1. Force feeding drivers and updates often breaks the system.
2. Your PC gets turned into a torrent sever and other Win10 users will obtain updates via yours and everyone else's PCs.
3. You may not be comfortable with the anti-privacy / tracking features, some of which can not be turned off

The thing is, Windows 7 is now about 50% more expensive than Win10 and that should make you think a little :). Again, if Alienware MoBo failed, you can likely get MS to re-authorize. I have done numerous MoBo replacements even with different sockets where Win 7 reauthorized itself automatically. In each case tho, I had same brand MoBo, tho different models and different generations.