Planning on overclocking new CPU

Brum-Games

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015
Hey guys,

I'm a noob in overclocking cpu's but I've done some research, and kinda understand it now, I know how to make an overclock profile and I know how to tweak around in BIOS. However, a few things to me aren't clear.

1. Stress testing after OC. Which program do I use? How long do I leave it running? When do I know my OC profile is stable?

2. AVX offset. A lot of people say it's best to put this on like 3. Now I kinda know what this does, and I know that games mostly don't use AVX. But one thing to me is unclear. Now lets say I OC to 5ghz, with AVX offset on 3. Then I'll do a stress test with a program which uses AVX, so it will stress the CPU at 4,7ghz. Won't this mean the results will be unreliable because of this? Because the test is at 4,7ghz and when I'd go in game it would be 5ghz?

Any help will be greatly appreciated. See right now I got all my components at stock speed but I'm planning to upgrade my gpu to the upcoming rtx 2080, and I figured I would need a new CPU with that (which I'm planning to overclock), because I play at 144hz, and this tends to ask a lot of CPU power.

Thanks in advance, cheers!

Solution
Find the model number on the side of the unit. THAT is what tells the tale. Watts, brand, 80plus rating, none of these tell you anything really that is important to know when selecting a power supply. The PLATFORM used and WHO built the unit for them, Seasonic, Super Flower, CWT, FSP, FLextronics, or some bargain basement cheap chinese company, those are the things you need to know and the model will lead to that information.

Generally, based on model, you can find professional reviews of any worthwhile model. If there are no worthwhile reputable reviews, then the unit is probably not even worth considering. Even if there are, it may not be. Cooler Master is particularly bad, among well known brands, for having junk power supplies, so...
Although this is still a work in progress, I think you'll find the answers to all your questions in there. Specifically, you can read the quick and dirty version at the bottom of the tutorial, but I would STRONGLY suggest going back and reading the whole thing if you want to have any actual understanding of what it is you are doing. Even then, it IS only a basic guide.

(Which shows you just how complex the processes and particulars of overclocking can be when you start getting into more advanced configurations, since it ONLY covers the basics.)

Once you have a grasp of all the concepts there, I'd also highly recommend moving on to some of the more advanced tutorials. Particularly, motherboard and chipset specific ones.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3761568/cpu-overclocking-guide-tutorial-beginners-work-progress.html

Until you are VERY familiar with the basic and moderate overclocking principles, I would forego worrying about AVX offsets. Get the overclock stable first. Realbench uses AVX instruction sets, but it uses REALISTIC workloads, not completely unrealistic ones like Prime95 versions newer than 26.6, and some other utilities.

If you don't specifically KNOW that you will be using applications that make EXTENSIVE use of AVX instructions, I wouldn't even worry about it, at all. At least not for now. Maybe later, when you become a lot more proficient.

Brum-Games

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

I have read your guide, it seems very usefull and probably more than complex enough to help me do what I want to do. I will first build my new pc and then follow every single step they provide in that guide, and I'm guessing I should probably be okay by then. If not, I'll post an update.

Thanks a lot, cheers!

Brum-Games

Reputable
Oct 13, 2015

Btw, there's one thing I want to ask. I got a Cooler Master PSU of 750 watt. Idk the exact type, but it costs like 75 dollars. Will this be good enough? Or is this information too short?

Find the model number on the side of the unit. THAT is what tells the tale. Watts, brand, 80plus rating, none of these tell you anything really that is important to know when selecting a power supply. The PLATFORM used and WHO built the unit for them, Seasonic, Super Flower, CWT, FSP, FLextronics, or some bargain basement cheap chinese company, those are the things you need to know and the model will lead to that information.

Generally, based on model, you can find professional reviews of any worthwhile model. If there are no worthwhile reputable reviews, then the unit is probably not even worth considering. Even if there are, it may not be. Cooler Master is particularly bad, among well known brands, for having junk power supplies, so I would be very skeptical of that unit until knowing the model number.

Solution