Question Planning on setting up a new home wifi mesh setup - considering a TP-Link Deco

phunni

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
I currently have a wifi mesh setup using 2 Unifi APs. I've had this setup for a good few years now, but it's recently been temperamental and I'd also like something that's easier to manage.

I'm considering getting a 3 pack of the TP-Link Deco X60 or X20 (depending on local prices - UK based). Obviously 2 would replace the Unifi APs and one would go upstairs in the house.

My setup as it stands is as follows:

I have a custom built router - very simple little computer running pfsense. Obviously this connects to the modem and also to the first AP as well as having some wired connections to computers in the same room. Years ago I ran a netwok cable from my little office in an outbuilding into the living room of the main house. This cable connects, via a switch, to the second AP as well as having some wired connections - mostly to media devices. There are several devices: phones, chromebooks, a desktop, some tablets and a printer that connect via wifi.

My plan would be, as well as replacing the existing APs, to add another one upstairs. There is, however, no network cabling running to the upstairs of the house and my health is not what is was when I last ran a new cable through the house - I simply couldn't do it now. Would a powerline adapter do the job? Are there any implications to using a powerline adapter? I'm assuming that using only wifi to connect to the other APs would be a waste of time since I'd only be getting the same quality of signal that I'd get if my devices were connecting dirently to the downstairs AP - is that correct? Also - would there be bandwidth implications to only using wifi to connect the upstairs AP?

Would you recommend I continue to use my pfsense router - or use one of the Decos as the router? To be honest, I'm fairly comfortable either way and, unless there are clear disadvantages, it might simply be easier to let the Deco do the routing work.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions exremely welcome! Thanks in advance!

kanewolf

Titan
I currently have a wifi mesh setup using 2 Unifi APs. I've had this setup for a good few years now, but it's recently been temperamental and I'd also like something that's easier to manage.

I'm considering getting a 3 pack of the TP-Link Deco X60 or X20 (depending on local prices - UK based). Obviously 2 would replace the Unifi APs and one would go upstairs in the house.

My setup as it stands is as follows:

I have a custom built router - very simple little computer running pfsense. Obviously this connects to the modem and also to the first AP as well as having some wired connections to computers in the same room. Years ago I ran a netwok cable from my little office in an outbuilding into the living room of the main house. This cable connects, via a switch, to the second AP as well as having some wired connections - mostly to media devices. There are several devices: phones, chromebooks, a desktop, some tablets and a printer that connect via wifi.

My plan would be, as well as replacing the existing APs, to add another one upstairs. There is, however, no network cabling running to the upstairs of the house and my health is not what is was when I last ran a new cable through the house - I simply couldn't do it now. Would a powerline adapter do the job? Are there any implications to using a powerline adapter? I'm assuming that using only wifi to connect to the other APs would be a waste of time since I'd only be getting the same quality of signal that I'd get if my devices were connecting dirently to the downstairs AP - is that correct? Also - would there be bandwidth implications to only using wifi to connect the upstairs AP?

Would you recommend I continue to use my pfsense router - or use one of the Decos as the router? To be honest, I'm fairly comfortable either way and, unless there are clear disadvantages, it might simply be easier to let the Deco do the routing work.

Any advice, thoughts or suggestions exremely welcome! Thanks in advance!
I don't know if the TP Link system will work without the base unit which is normally configured as the primary router.
I am surprised you don't like the UniFI hardware.

phunni

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
I don't know if the TP Link system will work without the base unit which is normally configured as the primary router.
I am surprised you don't like the UniFI hardware.
My understanding is that one of the APs can also act as a router, although you can also still use another router. I'm fairly happy to go either way to be honest.

The Unifi stuff has worked fine for years, but one of them has recently become very unreliable and the management software is a pain.

kanewolf

Titan
My understanding is that one of the APs can also act as a router, although you can also still use another router. I'm fairly happy to go either way to be honest.

The Unifi stuff has worked fine for years, but one of them has recently become very unreliable and the management software is a pain.
I am a full UniFI house with the controller software running on a PI 4. Once configured, the management software isn't required. I ran it on a laptop to start with and only ran it to change something. But, to each, their own.

phunni

Honorable
Sep 4, 2014
I am a full UniFI house with the controller software running on a PI 4. Once configured, the management software isn't required. I ran it on a laptop to start with and only ran it to change something. But, to each, their own.

Surely the management software is required for updates.

Anyway, I'd like to move on from Unifi and wondered if anyone has any insight into my questions?

TRENDING THREADS