Planning on some upgrading what is important.

May 26, 2018
I currently have two upgrades planned; a bigger SSD and a new monitor (1440p/4k if they have good frame rate to future proof, but i think 1440p is the current best with frame rate and price). i wanted to ask to see if anything in my current build looks like it needs to be upgraded sooner rather than later with out a completely new build. Currently i don't have any plans on upgrading the CPU or GPU to accommodate the new monitor as i will run it on 1080p until a significant upgrade in GPU performance.

My current build:
CPU- AMD FX-9590 Black Edition
Cooler-Noctua NH-D15 (under 40C with load)
Motherboard- Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0
RAM-DDR3-2400 (i don't recall the brand)
Memory- Samsung SSD 480GB
GPU- 980Ti 6GB
Power Supply- 660W 80+ Platinum

will try and answer any questions ASAP, and please constructive criticism this was my first build.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Nothing really jumps out except the thermonuclear processor and it being well outdated now. Still serviceable for 1080p with a GTX980Ti. You can about double the graphics performance with a new card, but, as you say, that more or less means a new monitor. And if you push for high enough resolution and settings, the CPU won't matter too much.

You have an SSD, no options for NMVe really, so you are good there. If you want more storage, go for it.

Ride it until the CPU melts, I guess.

May 26, 2018
Thank you for the response. I will look into the cpu for a later build but for now the cpu will continue to create a nice space heater