Question Planning on upgrading parts of my PC - need advice

moomoli

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
Hello everyone,

I'm buying some new parts for my PC and would like to hear more knowledgeable people's opinions and suggestions whether or not they are a suitable fit for my setup. Pcpartpicker says they are all compatible with each other, but I want to know if I'm missing something since all the parts I'm buying cost around 1000€ all together.

Parts I already own:
GPU: RTX 3080 10GB
RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury RGB 2x16GB DDR4 3200
PSU: A modular Cooler Master 750W 80+ Platinum
Storage: 1TB M.2 SSD (May buy another one)

Parts I'm going to buy:
CPU: Intel Core i5-13600KF
CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Loop 360 Liquid cooler
MB: Asus PRIME B760-PLUS D4 ATX LGA1700
Chassis: Lian Li LANCOOL III ATX Mid Tower Case

The main reason I'm upgrading is my cooling & noise situation. I cannot even play moderately modded Skyrim without having the game sounds be drowned out by fan noise (just one example). Would this setup be adequate at cooling while also not the loudest? I am also looking for advice for managing air pressure inside the chassis. I am aiming for either neutral or slightly positive air pressure. The LANCOOL case has 3x120mm front fans and a 1x140mm rear fan. With a CPU cooler like the one I am going to buy, would I even need the rear fan & would having it running just result in negative air pressure? I am planning on mounting the AIO radiator on the roof of the case.

Final note, my choice of parts is partly a result of current availability where I live. Also apologies for spelling & grammatical errors, English is my second language.

You can save some money by going with the Lian Li LANCOOL 216. 2x160mm front intake fans, 1x140mm rear exhaust fan.

Reactions: moomoli and geofelt
What is your current case, cpu and cooler?

The lancool III case you listed would be fine.
It comes with three 140mm fans that will move a lot of air at low RPM's.

The lancool 216 referenced by Why_Me ^^
is also a good choice.
The two 160mm intake fans will provide similar airflow and noise.

Noise comes from fans running at high rpm's.

Larger fans move more air quietly.
A 360 aio with three 120mm fans is not going to be quiet.
With a good graphics card like the 3080, I would presume that your main objective is gaming.
Realize that games will stress only a handful of cores and do not load the cpu to where high end liquid cooling is needed.
And, no longer can you get something for nothing via overclocking.
Chips are binned and if your 13600K were capable of a good overclock, it would be sold as a 13700K or 13900K.
Noctua maintains a list of suitable coolers for the 13600K.
The best on the list would be the NH-D15.

Considering the total cost of the project, I think it is silly economizing not to spend some $30 more to get the non f version of a processor.
If you ever have a graphics card issue, integrated graphics will keep you going.
I needed it once, not for a gpu failure but for a psu failure. (My backup psu would not run my graphics card)

moomoli

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
What is your current case, cpu and cooler?

The lancool III case you listed would be fine.
It comes with three 140mm fans that will move a lot of air at low RPM's.

The lancool 216 referenced by Why_Me ^^
is also a good choice.
The two 160mm intake fans will provide similar airflow and noise.

Noise comes from fans running at high rpm's.

Larger fans move more air quietly.
A 360 aio with three 120mm fans is not going to be quiet.
With a good graphics card like the 3080, I would presume that your main objective is gaming.
Realize that games will stress only a handful of cores and do not load the cpu to where high end liquid cooling is needed.
And, no longer can you get something for nothing via overclocking.
Chips are binned and if your 13600K were capable of a good overclock, it would be sold as a 13700K or 13900K.
Noctua maintains a list of suitable coolers for the 13600K.
The best on the list would be the NH-D15.

Considering the total cost of the project, I think it is silly economizing not to spend some $30 more to get the non f version of a processor.
If you ever have a graphics card issue, integrated graphics will keep you going.
I needed it once, not for a gpu failure but for a psu failure. (My backup psu would not run my graphics card)
My current PC in its entirety is the OMEN 30L GT13 0006no. Was a lazy dummie back in early 2021 and bought a prebuilt.. I do not know the case's name, nor the cooler's, but the CPU is the i9-10900K and it came with a 120mm liquid cooler which does NOT get the job done quietly, and even when the fan is spinning as fast as it can (presuming from the noise it makes, unbearable) the CPU temps occasionally hit 99 degrees celsius when gaming, and stay at 85+ most of the time. While idling / web browsing it's fine, the temps hover around 36-45 degrees.

I read that other people have had the same issue with the i9-10900K, and most solved the issue with a case & cooler swap, which is kinda the main reason for this upgrade. Just re-applying the thermal paste didn't appearantly help.

I also read that an AIO with multiple fan would be quieter than one with fewer, since they do not have to spin as fast. Is this false? And would the NH-D15 be reasonably quiet while keeping the temps low? I do not mind spending a bit extra for as long as I have a cool & quiet system, so if you have any cooler suggestions on the more expensive side, those are fine as well.

I also swapped the CPU in my shopping basket to the one with integrated graphics, thank you for the tip.

Your case is deficient from an air intake point of view.
I see only one front intake fan of unknown size.
That is insufficient to feed cold air to the cpu cooling radiator as well as the graphics card.

My advice would be to first change out the case to the lancool III or similar and buy a NH-D15S which will clear tall ram heat spreaders.
Then see how you do.

I have no doubt that you would fix your cooling issues.

If, then, you want more cpu capability, you could do the second part of the upgrade and use a 13600K and a B760 based ddr4 motherboard.

Reactions: moomoli and Why_Me

moomoli

Reputable
Oct 25, 2018
Your case is deficient from an air intake point of view.
I see only one front intake fan of unknown size.
That is insufficient to feed cold air to the cpu cooling radiator as well as the graphics card.

My advice would be to first change out the case to the lancool III or similar and buy a NH-D15S which will clear tall ram heat spreaders.
Then see how you do.

I have no doubt that you would fix your cooling issues.

If, then, you want more cpu capability, you could do the second part of the upgrade and use a 13600K and a B760 based ddr4 motherboard.
I see, thank you for taking the time to give me advice. I will try a simple case swap & re-pasting with a new cooler first. Hopefully that will solve my heating & noise issues.

Reactions: Why_Me