Planning to add a 760 to my existing rig and make it sli

ryeshe

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013
I have a few questions about that so I'll start with posting my specs.
Asrock z87 extreme 4 mobo
Intel i5 4670k with stock cooler
8 gb of kingston hyperx black ram (1 stick)
xfx pro 550w power supply
128 gb samsung ssd 840 evo
3 x 2 tb seagate barracuda green internal hdd
coolermaster storm enforcer case.

Finally the gpu is a gigabyte 760 3x windforce 2 gb

I've got a few questions about sli
1. would stock cooling be enough
2. I obviously need to up the psu. would a 750w be enough?
3. Would doubling my ram help?
4. Would the fact that the first gpu has been through roughly a year of relatively heavy use affect anything performance wise?

Solution

I meant for the CPU fan/cooler. Usually the go to recommendation for a...

Traciatim

Distinguished
Unless you are overclocking the only reason to change the stock cooler is either if you find it runs too hot or if you want a larger fan so that it makes less noise.

Your existing card being a year old shouldn't make any difference at all.

A great 650 watt supply would probably be enough, pretty much any respectable 750 would be plenty.

Doubling your RAM would only help in situations when you are using more than 8GB. For general gaming that is extremely rare so I wouldn't bother unless you know for sure that you are using that much.

ryeshe

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Thanks for the answers.
Just a clarification.. For the cooling, is that answer for the case in general or the cpu?

Traciatim

Distinguished

I meant for the CPU fan/cooler. Usually the go to recommendation for a cheap but well designed tower cooler is the 212 evo. Large fan, huge tower of cooling, pretty well designed, good performance, and fairly cheap.

Solution

ryeshe

Honorable
Jul 28, 2013

Sorry I should have specified. I was more concerned with the heat the sli setup would generate and if i'd need a more sophisticated cooling solution because of it.

TRENDING THREADS