[SOLVED] planning to buy cryorig R1 ultimate for I7 7700k

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
Can anybody confirm its ram clearance? my ram modules are 34.04 mm high. How will it hold up with i7 7700k's heat?

Solution
It will be close it has 30-35mm of RAM clearance depending on where you position the fan. It's far more than enough to handle the heat of a 7700k at stock or with a decent overclock. I use a single tower hyper 212 evo on my 7700k 4.8ghz 1.21v and I can keep temps under 80c in a stress test, well below that in games. The R1 is a much better cooler than the 212 evo so I would worry about heat.

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
It will be close it has 30-35mm of RAM clearance depending on where you position the fan. It's far more than enough to handle the heat of a 7700k at stock or with a decent overclock. I use a single tower hyper 212 evo on my 7700k 4.8ghz 1.21v and I can keep temps under 80c in a stress test, well below that in games. The R1 is a much better cooler than the 212 evo so I would worry about heat.

Solution

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
thank you !

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
There's a marked difference between the Ultimate and Universal. It's a guaranteed fact that you will need low profile / value ram with no upwards heatsink for the Ultimate, I own one and even the measly heatsink on my standard Patriot Viper type heatsink interferes. The Ultimate affects the first 2 slots next to the cpu, so give up on any consideration of dual channel there. The Universal uses a slim 13mm fan instead of the standard 25mm fan, and that makes a huge difference in ram clearance, allowing for a normal 2-4 setup. The temp difference between a Ultimate and Universal is @ 3°C at max performance, which you won't see outside of a stress torture test, most gaming loads will be about 1-2°C different, but considering loads are not constant and bounce considerably, constantly, you'll never tell the difference.

Universal is a much better fit all around.

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
There's a marked difference between the Ultimate and Universal. It's a guaranteed fact that you will need low profile / value ram with no upwards heatsink for the Ultimate, I own one and even the measly heatsink on my standard Patriot Viper type heatsink interferes. The Ultimate affects the first 2 slots next to the cpu, so give up on any consideration of dual channel there. The Universal uses a slim 13mm fan instead of the standard 25mm fan, and that makes a huge difference in ram clearance, allowing for a normal 2-4 setup. The temp difference between a Ultimate and Universal is @ 3°C at max performance, which you won't see outside of a stress torture test, most gaming loads will be about 1-2°C different, but considering loads are not constant and bounce considerably, constantly, you'll never tell the difference.

Universal is a much better fit all around.
Thank you for explaining. So there is a 100 percent probability for the fact that dual channel has to go from my setup if i put that cpu cooler? Thanks

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
Will it block my ram slots? Ram sticks are 34.04 mm high. I currently have master air MA610p which does not help my i7 7700k that much. Appreciate your responses.

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
My ram sticks are 34.04 mm high. Will the cooler interfere with my first two ram slots? And what about pcie slot first one. Motherboard in Eatx gigabyte gaming 9 z270x motherboard. Thanks for the help

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm talking about the height of the ram heatsink. If you have value ram that has no fancy heatsinks or if the ram specifically says low profile or just has the side heatsinks, it'll work under the Ultimates front fan. If it's normal ram that has 3-4mm of heatsink sticking up above the ram, it won't.

hayaty0923

Commendable
Feb 25, 2018
I'm talking about the height of the ram heatsink. If you have value ram that has no fancy heatsinks or if the ram specifically says low profile or just has the side heatsinks, it'll work under the Ultimates front fan. If it's normal ram that has 3-4mm of heatsink sticking up above the ram, it won't.
yep mine are not fancy but the normal hyper X fury ones. looks like im going to make a purchase! thanks!