Planning to replace my ODD for an HDD while SSD on the main SATA III

Edember

Reputable
Jul 10, 2016
I've been googling for quite some time reading that an SSD will have full potential on the SATA III bay that came with hard drive on my laptop so I checked the SATA version on HWiNFO and it says that on my ODD has ATAPI interface while my HDD has SATA 6 Gb/s....

Once my SSD and hard drive caddy arrived, I am planning to put the HDD on the ODD bay but I am afraid that ATAPI will not support my HDD...

What is an ATAPI interface btw. What is the speed of it? Will it support hard disk caddies and hard drives??

I have Lenovo ideapad 320IKB

Solution
OK

So you want to add a SATA drive to the (apparently SATA) HDD bay and move the HDD to the OOD slot fitted up with a drive caddy.

Your issue is, assuming the ODD connection is, as reported, an ATAPI connection, will it support the HDD ?

If that report is correct, ( which I doubt, because ATAPI has not been sighted anywhere near intel chipsets since Confederation) then No, the caddy/HDD combo will not connect in that slot.

OK

So you want to add a SATA drive to the (apparently SATA) HDD bay and move the HDD to the OOD slot fitted up with a drive caddy.

Your issue is, assuming the ODD connection is, as reported, an ATAPI connection, will it support the HDD ?

If that report is correct, ( which I doubt, because ATAPI has not been sighted anywhere near intel chipsets since Confederation) then No, the caddy/HDD combo will not connect in that slot.

Solution