Question Planning to swap motherboards... Will it work or not?

jon96789

Proper
Aug 17, 2019
I have a MSi MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wi-Fi motherboard which has thermal issues with the VRM with a AMD 3900X. The VRM hits 95+ degrees and the CPU throttles down a bit (the CPU will hit 4.3 GHz but drops to 3.6 GHz when it hits 95 degrees). I am thinking of replacing the motherboard with an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 ATX motherboard with a 14+2 VRM design iso the crappy MSi 5+2 design. i have corresponded with MSi with my issue but they never responded to any of my e-mails.

The question i have is can I just replace the motherboard, add all the components and boot it or do i have to do a fresh Windows install? My current setup has a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD and a MSi RTX2070 GPU.

kanewolf

Titan
Unknown. All you can do is assume it won't and prepare for it NOT to work then try it. It might be fine or it might blue screen (or even not boot). That is why you PREPARE while you have a working combination. Get a list of software to reinstall, find all your keys, verify your Windows license is associated with your MS login, etc.

Reactions: 4745454b

white.a.drew

Respectable
Oct 14, 2017
I have a MSi MPG X570 Gaming Pro Carbon Wi-Fi motherboard which has thermal issues with the VRM with a AMD 3900X. The VRM hits 95+ degrees and the CPU throttles down a bit (the CPU will hit 4.3 GHz but drops to 3.6 GHz when it hits 95 degrees). I am thinking of replacing the motherboard with an ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Hero X570 ATX motherboard with a 14+2 VRM design iso the crappy MSi 5+2 design. i have corresponded with MSi with my issue but they never responded to any of my e-mails.

The question i have is can I just replace the motherboard, add all the components and boot it or do i have to do a fresh Windows install? My current setup has a Samsung M.2 NVMe SSD and a MSi RTX2070 GPU.
your mobo should work no issues i just did this for my friend and he has been gaming on it for the past, month he has had no problems only thing you may need to do is uninstall your gpu and reinstall it.

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
3 possible outcomes:

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.
(And no, don't ask for a possibility percentage)

Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall. Be grateful if you don't have to.

white.a.drew

Respectable
Oct 14, 2017
3 possible outcomes:

1. It boots up just fine
  2. It fails completely
  3. It boots up, but you're chasing issues for weeks.
I've seen all 3.
(And no, don't ask for a possibility percentage)

Prepare for a full wipe and reinstall. Be grateful if you don't have to.
lol it's more like the answer to the percentage is 100% on all ends because technically after a long enough time of there being problems the pc will eventually just fail

white.a.drew

Respectable
Oct 14, 2017
But to be fair a did miss 1. That it could boot no issue. I honestly missed that one but 2, nd 3 thats a given 1 problem generally means a system life time a trouble shooting or just reset the the boot drive not all your drives.... Or again may not need to do anything could just work.... But then again dont ask me anything "I 100% said I will work no matter what" and didn't even know it

USAFRet

Titan
Mar 16, 2013
But to be fair a did miss 1. That it could boot no issue. I honestly missed that one but 2, nd 3 thats a given 1 problem generally means a system life time a trouble shooting or just reset the the boot drive not all your drives.... Or again may not need to do anything could just work.... But then again dont ask me anything "I 100% said I will work no matter what" and didn't even know it
So then we're in agreement.
Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

Correct?

Reactions: white.a.drew

4745454b

Titan
Unknown. All you can do is assume it won't and prepare for it NOT to work then try it. It might be fine or it might blue screen (or even not boot). That is why you PREPARE while you have a working combination. Get a list of software to reinstall, find all your keys, verify your Windows license is associated with your MS login, etc.
This is the answer right here. Hope for the best, but make sure you are prepared if it doesn't work like you think it should. I've done board swaps without reinstalling windows before. I even single core AMD to dual core intel with XP as the OS without a reinstall. But anytime you do this you want to make sure all your install media is handy with keys at the ready. Because all it takes is one thing to happen that you never encountered before or one OS change you didn't know about to ruin your plans. Prepare first, then attempt.

ASK THE COMMUNITY