[SOLVED] Planning to upgrade, is this good?

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Hello, soon i will be able to upgrade my PC but i will keep my GPU with me, and i wanted to know if this upgrade is worth the price or if i could change anything to make it lower the price, such as picking another motherboard.

For now my PC is the following:
GPU - RX 5700 XT Sapphire Pulse
CPU - R5 2600
RAM - Corsair LPX 2x8GB 2400MHz
PSU - Nox urano 650w 80+ bronze
SSD - Intel SSD 5 (i dont remember the name)
MotherBoard - Asrock AB350m Pro4
PC Case - Nfortec Krater

And the parts i want to upgrade are the following:
  • PSU - NZXT C750 750W 80 Plus Gold Modular - (114,89 €
  • CPU - R7 3700X - 325,90 €
  • Liquid Cooling - Corsair H80i RGB PLATINUM - 134,99 €
  • RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 3200 PC4-25600 16GB 2x8GB CL16 - 116,98 €
  • MotherBoard - MSI X570-A Pro - 169,90 €
  • Monitor (mine is 1080p 60Hz and half broken) - MSI Optix AG32CQ 31.5" WQHD 144Hz FreeSync Curved - 379,00 €
The total is 1241,66€ (without including shipping taxes). Is this upgrade worth it in lng terms?

EDIT: My target for this setup is gaming at 1440p at ultra settings at minimum 60 FPS. If it's not achievable, then bring the resolution down to 1080p.
EDIT 2: I would also like to buy a new SSD to expand my storage, would you recommend me a good one?

Last edited:
Solution
This would be my recommendation unless you REALLY want to spend additional money on an X570 motherboard, OR if you plan to use more than one M.2 drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor (€329.85 @ PC Componentes)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€129.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€120.93 @ PC Componentes)
Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€125.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Monitor: LG...
That CPU is supported on your current motherboard so long as you upgrade the BIOS to version P5.9. No need to buy another motherboard at all unless you want to. The X570-A Pro isn't particularly good anyhow. Reviews show it has some serious shortcomings. Definitely not the board I'd recommend if you DO buy another board.

The PSU, a C series from NZXT built on the Seasonic Focus platform, is ok, not great. It has a few issues just like the original Focus series had I would imagine. There are no legitimate reputable reviews of that unit however, but there are reviews of the 650w unit, and they aren't too bad. The biggest problem though is that if you DO go with that X570-A Pro, or any other X570 board for that matter, you are going to need not only the traditional 4+4 EPS power connectors for the CPU, but it also has an additional 4 pin EPS connection for a total of 4+4+4, and that power supply does not have the additional EPS connector. It has only one.

I'd recommend this unit, which is a better quality model anyhow AND has dual 4+4 pin EPS connectors.

PCPartPicker Part List

Power Supply: Super Flower Leadex III Gold 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply (€125.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €125.90
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 03:31 CEST+0200

The H80i is not really suitable for that CPU. It could work, but it's going to struggle.

This would be a much better choice, by far, and it's also less expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i PRO 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€129.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €129.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 03:34 CEST+0200

I have no idea if anything will fit anything on any of these parts, because you have neglected to include what case model you have or whether you will be replacing your case, either way. Knowing that, would be helpful too.

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
That CPU is supported on your current motherboard so long as you upgrade the BIOS to version P5.9. No need to buy another motherboard at all unless you want to. The X570-A Pro isn't particularly good anyhow. Reviews show it has some serious shortcomings. Definitely not the board I'd recommend if you DO buy another board.

The PSU, a C series from NZXT built on the Seasonic Focus platform, is ok, not great. It has a few issues just like the original Focus series had I would imagine. There are no legitimate reputable reviews of that unit however, but there are reviews of the 650w unit, and they aren't too bad. The biggest problem though is that if you DO go with that X570-A Pro, or any other X570 board for that matter, you are going to need not only the traditional 4+4 EPS power connectors for the CPU, but it also has an additional 4 pin EPS connection for a total of 4+4+4, and that power supply does not have the additional EPS connector. It has only one.

I'd recommend this unit, which is a better quality model anyhow AND has dual 4+4 pin EPS connectors.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: €125.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 03:31 CEST+0200

The H80i is not really suitable for that CPU. It could work, but it's going to struggle.

This would be a much better choice, by far, and it's also less expensive.

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: €129.90
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 03:34 CEST+0200

I have no idea if anything will fit anything on any of these parts, because you have neglected to include what case model you have or whether you will be replacing your case, either way. Knowing that, would be helpful too.

Okay, sorry for the late reply, i will update the case, which is a Nfortec Krater (I intend to keep it). And if the liquid refrigeration is not really needed (i don't intend to do hard OC) i can remove it and go for the stock cooler or another third party cooler which i don't know. And, i don't really want to keep this motherboard. So which motherboard would you recommend?

Do you have your heart set on a curved display, because that MSI monitor has issues with color and calibration, like a lot of the MSI monitors in this price range. There are a lot of complaints. There is a much better LG 32" 1440p 144hz Freesync display that is about the same price, if you don't have your heart set on the curved panel.

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
Do you have your heart set on a curved display, because that MSI monitor has issues with color and calibration, like a lot of the MSI monitors in this price range. There are a lot of complaints. There is a much better LG 32" 1440p 144hz Freesync display that is about the same price, if you don't have your heart set on the curved panel.
Not really, the monitor can either be 1080p or 1440p, preferible if 1440p. The hertz don't matter that much to me, but the more hertz the better.

This would be my recommendation unless you REALLY want to spend additional money on an X570 motherboard, OR if you plan to use more than one M.2 drive.

PCPartPicker Part List

Motherboard: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€119.90 @ Amazon Espana)
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 CL16 Memory (€120.93 @ PC Componentes)
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (€379.99 @ Amazon Espana)
Total: €1206.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 04:24 CEST+0200

And yes, that cooler will absolutely fit your case. I would recommend installing it in the front, in an intake configuration. If you PREFER an air cooler instead, we could do that as well.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG H5 Ultimate 76 CFM CPU Cooler (€72.60 @ Coolmod)
Total: €1149.17
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 04:30 CEST+0200

Last edited:
Solution

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019

PCPartPicker Part List

Total: €1206.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 04:24 CEST+0200

And yes, that cooler will absolutely fit your case. I would recommend installing it in the front, in an intake configuration.
What would be the difference over a b450 motherboard to an x470? I've read it's more about overclocking differences, but i am not 100% sure about it. And about the PSU, isn't there any other one from corsair, cooler master, nzxt or these most popular marks? I ask mainly because i will buy from the website PCComponentes

If you can only buy from one retailer, you are going to seriously increase the cost of the build. Buying from multiple retailers allows you to get the best prices regardless of the part. PC Componentes has a VERY small selection of CPU coolers, and they are more expensive for the ones they do have. They have practically zero decent air coolers. And I was actually able to do it for about a buck less, although I think the Super Flower PSU would have been a significantly better option.

Super Flower makes some of the best power supplies in the world. And THEY, along with CWT and Seasonic, are pretty much about the top three ACTUAL manufacturers of power supplies, making them for companies like EVGA, NZXT, Fractal Design, Corsair, Antec, etc. Personally, I would recommend just staying completely away from Cooler Master and Thermaltake when it comes to power supplies. They do have a FEW decent models, but the ones they have that ARE decent are way overpriced for what you can get compared to other companies. Super Flower is an excellent choice and you're getting your power supply direct from the manufacturer. This is basically the same as an EVGA G2 or G3 unit as those are based off of Super Flower Leadex platforms as well. Right now, you are lucky to even be able to get one of these, especially for this price, in your region. Most people are stuck with crappy models right now because of Covid 19 and no shipping out of China.

You can get a decent Corsair unit, but you're going to pay more for it. Unfortunately, PC Componentes doesn't carry it, but this Corsair TX unit is fairly good.

This is a VERY good build. This motherboard has the same VRM configuration, which is what defines what kind of overclocking it will be able to handle or how big and hot of a CPU, usually from having many cores, that it can handle, as the B450 Pro Carbon, Tomahawk and B450-A Pro. It's a very good motherboard. It lacks a few features that you will likely find on X570 or B550 motherboards, when those become available, but it's a HECK of a lot less expensive too.

This is about the best I can do using only PC Componentes.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€136.84 @ PC Componentes)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€113.15 @ PC Componentes)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€119.15 @ PC Componentes)
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (€387.24 @ PC Componentes)
Total: €1207.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 04:46 CEST+0200

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
If you can only buy from one retailer, you are going to seriously increase the cost of the build. Buying from multiple retailers allows you to get the best prices regardless of the part. PC Componentes has a VERY small selection of CPU coolers, and they are more expensive for the ones they do have. They have practically zero decent air coolers. And I was actually able to do it for about a buck less, although I think the Super Flower PSU would have been a significantly better option.

Super Flower makes some of the best power supplies in the world. And THEY, along with CWT and Seasonic, are pretty much about the top three ACTUAL manufacturers of power supplies, making them for companies like EVGA, NZXT, Fractal Design, Corsair, Antec, etc. Personally, I would recommend just staying completely away from Cooler Master and Thermaltake when it comes to power supplies. They do have a FEW decent models, but the ones they have that ARE decent are way overpriced for what you can get compared to other companies. Super Flower is an excellent choice and you're getting your power supply direct from the manufacturer. This is basically the same as an EVGA G2 or G3 unit as those are based off of Super Flower Leadex platforms as well. Right now, you are lucky to even be able to get one of these, especially for this price, in your region. Most people are stuck with crappy models right now because of Covid 19 and no shipping out of China.

You can get a decent Corsair unit, but you're going to pay more for it. Unfortunately, PC Componentes doesn't carry it, but this Corsair TX unit is fairly good.

This is a VERY good build. This motherboard has the same VRM configuration, which is what defines what kind of overclocking it will be able to handle or how big and hot of a CPU, usually from having many cores, that it can handle, as the B450 Pro Carbon, Tomahawk and B450-A Pro. It's a very good motherboard. It lacks a few features that you will likely find on X570 or B550 motherboards, when those become available, but it's a HECK of a lot less expensive too.

This is about the best I can do using only PC Componentes.

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU Cooler: Corsair iCUE H100i RGB PRO XT 75 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler (€136.84 @ PC Componentes)
Motherboard: MSI B450 Gaming Plus MAX ATX AM4 Motherboard (€113.15 @ PC Componentes)
Power Supply: Corsair TXM Gold 550 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-modular ATX Power Supply (€119.15 @ PC Componentes)
Monitor: LG 32GK650F-B 32.0" 2560x1440 144 Hz Monitor (€387.24 @ PC Componentes)
Total: €1207.16
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-06-06 04:46 CEST+0200
I don't doubt what you say about PSU's, but i need specifically from PCComponentes because i have some discounts there, and i have had bad experiences with other online shopping sites, but not with this one. So it's more of a trust issue than preference. I guess i will go with this, but the other solution i like it more. I will still keep with the B450 Tomahawk Max tho.

Edit: I guess i will not go with the water cooling since i will not be doing sketchy things with my computer (i don't know how much worth is switching to water cooling)

You don't, DO NOT, want to try and stick with the included stock AMD CPU cooler on that CPU. Or on any Ryzen 3000 CPU from the 3600 and up for that matter. They are not up to the task. They are loud and they have an annoying hum/frequency even when they are not loud. I would highly recommend using something else. Problem is, PC Componentes doesn't offer much in the way of air CPU coolers. If you don't want to go with the liquid cooler I suggested, I'd recommend going with the Cryorig H5 I recommended above from Amazon since you're ordering the board there anyhow.

rochismo

Commendable
Aug 12, 2019
You don't, DO NOT, want to try and stick with the included stock AMD CPU cooler on that CPU. Or on any Ryzen 3000 CPU from the 3600 and up for that matter. They are not up to the task. They are loud and they have an annoying hum/frequency even when they are not loud. I would highly recommend using something else. Problem is, PC Componentes doesn't offer much in the way of air CPU coolers. If you don't want to go with the liquid cooler I suggested, I'd recommend going with the Cryorig H5 I recommended above from Amazon since you're ordering the board there anyhow.
Could be an acceptable option to use the MSI Core Frozr S as CPU Cooling solution?

That CPU cooler is smaller, being only a 120mm cooler, than what I would recommend for the 3700x, but it's definitely a step up from the stock Wraith cooler so that's up to you. I think if you are going to go with an air cooler you would be wiser to go with a good 140mm model, or if you insist on a 120mm model then I'd recommend the Noctua NH-U12A, either the standard or the black model. But that's up to you. I can only give recommendations. I can't twist your arm and make the decisions for you.

There are actually no reviews of the Frozr S, only the Frozr L, and those are ok, but nothing spectacular. The Cryorig H5 would be a FAR better cooler.