[SOLVED] Planning to Upgrade Mobo, CPU, & RAM. Will Win10 OEM License Transfer if a digital license linked to my Microsoft account?

MicahTheManiac

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016
Sorry, if this is spam or something. I have seen similar threads to this and I couldn't get a clear answer. Anyways, I am maybe planning on upgrading my motherboard during the summer along with my CPU and RAM. The problem is when I built my PC I used an OEM license for Windows, knowing I won't have some Microsoft support and stuff like that. Although I did not know that Windows OEM keys are tied to the motherboard and can't be transferred. I heard having it linked to your Microsoft account would allow you to transfer it to a new PC (or upgraded PC in my case.) I have a digital license linked to my account, will this work? If not, is there a way to get the OEM key off my Motherboard?

If anyone has any experience transferring OEM versions of Windows, please answer if this is possible or not so I can know if I need to plan on buying a new license, which will probably be a big investment since I think those $20 keys are sketchy.

Honestly, I bet OEMs have to repair and replace tons of motherboards, so if Microsoft makes it impossible to transfer than that's just dumb.

Solution
OEMs, legal ones at least, buy many licenses at once and are certified with MS so they can change easily at any time. License is tied to MB but also to MS account. Depending on where you are MS is required to honor transfer of even OEM windows, Germany for instance.
you can try, telling MS support your computer just fried the motherboard, and this is only a replacement for the same computer - some have reported success in fnding a sympotetic CSR - but don't hold your breadth.
I bought a retail version and still played hell getting it re-activated.

OEMs, legal ones at least, buy many licenses at once and are certified with MS so they can change easily at any time. License is tied to MB but also to MS account. Depending on where you are MS is required to honor transfer of even OEM windows, Germany for instance.

Solution

MicahTheManiac

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks for letting me know, sorry it took so long to respond.

MicahTheManiac

Commendable
Dec 30, 2016

Thanks, sorry I took so long to reply. Hopefully I can get mine reactivated.