Question Planning to upgrading to 7800x3d

mzama.mzama

Honorable
May 13, 2018
hi
Im Planning to upgrading to 7800x3d but i heard about the new problem with this CPU
the problem this cpu not stable and can burn the motherboard
so what the best stable motherboard for this problem ?

D

Deleted member 2838871

It was a problem in mid-April. Go with whatever board you'd like... all the vendors have released BIOS updates to fix the issue.

Short answer: I wouldnt. Amd and the motherboard manufacturers have really drop the ball with this one.

Welcome to 6 weeks ago. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Shorter answer: Nothing wrong with going AMD just make sure your board has the latest BIOS.

hi
Im Planning to upgrading to 7800x3d but i heard about the new problem with this CPU
the problem this cpu not stable and can burn the motherboard
The problem is pretty much understood and has been resolved by AMD with an updated AGESA. There are two things you can do: first is not enable EXPO memory overclocking. That does hurt memory performance a lot but it's only a temporary measure until you get your board's BIOS updated.

The second, best and real fix is to make sure whichever new board you get is kept updated to the latest BIOS. If not already, it will soon have the AGESA fix that limits the maximum voltage on several CPU rails even with EXPO enabled.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 2838871

@drea.drechsler That's correct.

I was one of the unfortunate people who had their system implode... 3 days after I built it the CPU and board died.

Parts were replaced... BIOS updated... AGESA updated... and I've been running fine with EXPO on for the last 40 days or so with no further issues.

Reactions: drea.drechsler
D

Deleted member 2838871

Your motherboard died and you still recommend the product?

Yeah I do.

It didn't cost me anything but a lost Saturday afternoon of gaming. I built on a Weds... CPU and board died on a Saturday morning... rebuilt on a Sunday thanks to Amazon next day delivery... RMAed dead parts back to NewEgg Monday morning... received new parts the following Monday and returned them to Amazon for my money back.

Didn't cost me a cent.

I will admit when I was told "if you go AM5 be prepared for growing pains with a new platform" that I didn't expect that to include a system implosion but it is what it is. It's not like I had any alternative. I wasn't really interested in going with the dead platform that is LGA 1700 so I went AM5. I was already all in and nothing I could do but swap the dead parts for new parts because I'm pretty sure getting a refund and buying something else wasn't an option.

At any rate... it's water under the bridge and I'm not even salty about it. The PC is an absolute beast and I'd much rather be on a new platform with an easy upgrade path for the next few years over dumping a bunch of money into an EOL platform.

It really just boiled down to timing. Prior to this build I'd ran with Intel for the last 20 years. If 14th gen was an option I'd have probably went that route.

Yeah I do.

It didn't cost me anything but a lost Saturday afternoon of gaming. I built on a Weds... CPU and board died on a Saturday morning... rebuilt on a Sunday thanks to Amazon next day delivery... RMAed dead parts back to NewEgg Monday morning... received new parts the following Monday and returned them to Amazon for my money back.

Didn't cost me a cent.

I will admit when I was told "if you go AM5 be prepared for growing pains with a new platform" that I didn't expect that to include a system implosion but it is what it is. It's not like I had any alternative. I wasn't really interested in going with the dead platform that is LGA 1700 so I went AM5. I was already all in and nothing I could do but swap the dead parts for new parts because I'm pretty sure getting a refund and buying something else wasn't an option.

At any rate... it's water under the bridge and I'm not even salty about it. The PC is an absolute beast and I'd much rather be on a new platform with an easy upgrade path for the next few years over dumping a bunch of money into an EOL platform.

It really just boiled down to timing. Prior to this build I'd ran with Intel for the last 20 years. If 14th gen was an option I'd have probably went that route.

Cost isn't the issue. Safety is. The moment that product start dieing due to heat, that could lead to other components dieing or possible fires. You are a witness to the EXACT dangers of such a situation and downplayed its flaws. My standards is that if a product fails in normal operation in a repeatable manner it can not and should be recommended.

I lost all trust in ASUS over this issue, but after the fixes, most motherboards are not overvolting the 7800X3D anymore. Since Asus was not correctly reporting the voltage (you would have it set to 1.3, it would report 1.3 but actually deliver 1.39!) I just don't trust their motherboards anymore. Even if the issue is now fixed,

Beyond that, any other board should be fine with the latest BIOS

D

Deleted member 2838871

Cost isn't the issue. Safety is. The moment that product start dieing due to heat, that could lead to other components dieing or possible fires. You are a witness to the EXACT dangers of such a situation and downplayed its flaws. My standards is that if a product fails in normal operation in a repeatable manner it can not and should be recommended.

They didn't die due to heat... they died to a flaw resulting in excessive voltage which has since been fixed. Why are you saying it's repeatable? Install the BIOS and AGESA updates and get on with life.

What are you expecting? AMD to shut down operations and go out of business because of this?

I don't live life in fear of what might happen. It's fine to be paranoid... but that ain't me. If it's you... build with Intel? Since you are mentioning heat though just be aware that those Intel chips use a lot of power and get pretty hot. :ROFLMAO:

D

Deleted member 2838871

I lost all trust in ASUS over this issue, but after the fixes, most motherboards are not overvolting the 7800X3D anymore. Since Asus was not correctly reporting the voltage (you would have it set to 1.3, it would report 1.3 but actually deliver 1.39!) I just don't trust their motherboards anymore. Even if the issue is now fixed,

Beyond that, any other board should be fine with the latest BIOS

I've heard a lot of people say that about ASUS. I've personally never used any of their products. I heard that most of the issues were with their boards but mine was MSI and in their defense they did contact me the same day I posted on their forums about the issue.

The update was that same week. I ran with EXPO off until then and have had no problems since.

They didn't die due to heat... they died to a flaw resulting in excessive voltage which has since been fixed. Why are you saying it's repeatable? Install the BIOS and AGESA updates and get on with life.

What are you expecting? AMD to shut down operations and go out of business because of this?

I don't live life in fear of what might happen. It's fine to be paranoid... but that ain't me. If it's you... build with Intel? Since you are mentioning heat though just be aware that those Intel chips use a lot of power and get pretty hot. :ROFLMAO:
So excessive voltage doesn't generate heat? It happened to multiple users so it's repeatable. Amd business? Not relevant whether THIS product should be recommended. Intel cpus run? Yes, but they don't kill themselves and kill the motherboard. This banter is not useful to the original thread so I go help people who want to have an honest conversation about cpu recommendations.

D

Deleted member 2838871

So excessive voltage doesn't generate heat? It happened to multiple users so it's repeatable.

Yes excessive voltage generates heat... but that wasn't what your comment said. You said the parts died due to heat... when you should have said they died due to overvoltage.

Regardless... I'm not sure what part of "BIOS and AGESA updates have resolved the issue" that you fail to comprehend and I honestly don't care... but you can quit running off at the mouth about how it's an ongoing issue because its not.

Make sense? I hope so.

I gotta ask though... is it safe to assume you won't be upgrading that 9900k to an AMD processor? :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

This banter is not useful to the original thread so I go help people who want to have an honest conversation about cpu recommendations.

The only banter is your failed reading comprehension. I was being totally honest. The issue has been resolved. Nothing else to see here. Have a great day.