Plasma or LCD

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
buying one or the other tomorrow.

Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?

Cheers

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Neither. Get a DLP instead.

theone

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Realize that plasma consumes more power (not that LCD is light on
electric either) and is extremely susceptible to burn in.

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Of those two options...I would go with LCD. Especially if using it for
gaming.

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

I use the Samsung SyncMaster 173MW LCD, after 6 month's it's perfect as the
day I bought it, I've left GT4 running on it for hours and many X-Box games,
I also have a PC attached to it and it gives me Pic in Pic with built in TV
tunner.

It's been the most used monitor I've ever purchased without a glitch with
impecible clarity, no visible lines either.

Dan

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

If you will be playing games on it, STAY AWAY from plasma. They are very
susceptible to burn in (health meters, status bars, static maps, etc.)
"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

In article <xQ88e.3693$0d6.2250@tornado.ohiordc.rr.com>, "Matt" <mattnews@columbus.rr.com> wrote:
>Assuming your talking flat-panel LCD vs. Plasma, I'd say NEITHER based on
>your TV viewing needs. BOTH DVD & XBox (as well as HD TV) will have you
>watching various aspect ratios for years (actually, forEVER if you prefer
>movies in their original format). This means BLACK BARS somewhere on the
>screen with almost everything you watch). Both technologies you've listed
>(especially the more expensive PLASMA) are susceptible to their own types of
>burn-in (although burn-OUT would be a more accurate term).

What kind of burn-in does LCD suffer??

Anyway, I have LCD-projection. It has its plusses and minuses.
Good bang for the buck. Nice weight/size/$ compromise. Not the
greatest black-level or gray-scale. Note it does look different
than direct view. Compare film-to-screen matte look vs TV/Plasma
shiny. And, AFAIK, no burn-in issue.

I can recommend it, but note that each technology has its plusses
and minuses. So as the above poster said, check out all
technologies (direct CRT, CRT-projection, plasma, LCD, LCD-proj,
DLP-proj). For the original poster's query, and depending on the
size he wants, I too would favor DLP and LCD projection.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

I whole-heartedly agree. I use the Sony Grand WEGA 70" in my front room
with every game console known to man hooked up to it and it looks
phoenonemal with all and with NO BURN IN ISSUES.

"massivegrooves" <massivegrooves@massivegrooves.net> wrote in message

> The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>

> Of those two options...I would go with LCD. Especially if using it for
> gaming.

Pluvious

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2002

On 16 Apr 2005 05:35:22 -0700, "Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote:

>|The Don wrote:
>|> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
>|of
>|> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>|>
>|> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>|>
>|> Cheers
>|
>|Neither. Get a DLP instead.

Bingo.

Pluvious

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

The Don wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
whether you get LCD or Plasma.

KO

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2004

On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:14:00 +1000, John <nospam@afp.gov.au> wrote:

>The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>
>Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
> whether you get LCD or Plasma.

lcd will last longer.
I prefer the sets with the old style tubes which last many years
longer than lcd or plasma.

Strychnine

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2004

"ko" <ko@l.l> wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2005 22:14:00 +1000, John <nospam@afp.gov.au> wrote:
>
>>The Don wrote:
>>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
>>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>>
>>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>
>>Decide on what size screen you want and that will dictate (more or less)
>> whether you get LCD or Plasma.
>
> lcd will last longer.
> I prefer the sets with the old style tubes which last many years
> longer than lcd or plasma.

I went to this site before I bought my LCD projection tv. They have a TON
of info and it's very helpful. I don't get anything for this site, I just
wanted to share the info.
http://www.hdtvarcade.com/

"The Don" wrote:
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.

Don't. Save money and get a very good CRT.

--
/^\damnfine/^\
"Where is Richard Nixon when we finally need him?"

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:

Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
up a Panasonic surround sound system!!

Thanks again everyone!!!!

> I decided to go for the following:
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)

I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and had
30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old company so
I'm feeling slightly affluent :)

What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were willing,
the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have a built-in
digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:
>
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
> up a Panasonic surround sound system!!
>
> Thanks again everyone!!!!

Congratz, sounds good enough, Have fun :)

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PWD7UY&MFR=Panasonic

Great tv for gaming and DVDs, and a great price.

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message

> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers
> >

> Thanks every one for the advice, I decided to go for the following:
>
> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA), because I got such a good deal I also picked
> up a Panasonic surround sound system!!
>
> Thanks again everyone!!!!

mark

"Robert P Holley" <holleyrp@delanet.com> wrote in message

> The Don wrote:
>> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking
> of
>> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>>
>> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>>
>> Cheers
>
> Neither. Get a DLP instead.

Could you please elaborate? I'm trying to decide myself between an LCD and
DLP.

"David M. Williams" <ap_dmw@bigpond.com> wrote in message
> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>
>> I decided to go for the following:
>> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)
>
> I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and had
> 30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old company
> so I'm feeling slightly affluent :)
>
> What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were
> willing, the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have a
> built-in digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?

RRP is listed as $4,999 (Ausutralian), discounted to $4,499, I paid $3970.

It has around 4-5 AV points inlucing two PC Ports.

> "Skye" <carolinaconvicts2@yahoo.com> wrote in message

http://www.visualapex.com/plasma/Plasma_details.asp?chPartNumber=TH-42PWD7UY&MFR=Panasonic

> > Great tv for gaming and DVDs, and a great price.
> >

> What about burn in, most of my investigations when buying a TV indiacted
> that I should navoid Plasmas for that very reason.

Had mine for 2 years. Not a hint of burn-in.

Skye

> "David M. Williams" <ap_dmw@bigpond.com> wrote in message
>> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
>>
>>> I decided to go for the following:
>>> Hitachi 32" LCD (32LD7800TA)
>>
>> I'm keen to buy a new high quality TV. I start a new job on Monday and
>> had 30 days untaken annual leave which I just had paid out by my old
>> company so I'm feeling slightly affluent :)
>>
>> What is the price of that model? (RRP is fine, although if you were
>> willing, the price you paid would be great to know!). Also, does it have
>> a built-in digital TV tuner? How many AV inputs does it have?
>>

> RRP is listed as $4,999 (Ausutralian), discounted to $4,499, I paid $3970.
>
> It has around 4-5 AV points inlucing two PC Ports.

Hers the link to what I got:

http://www.hitachi.com.au/hitachi/content/template_products.asp?ID=1672#

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

I have or had a Samsung 61" DLP, 62" Toshiba DLP, 65" Toshiba RPTV, 50"
Pioneer Plasma, 26" Sharp LCD, 32" Sanyo CRT HDTV, 36" Toshiba CRT HDTV and
a Sony 36" CRT HDTV....which one was the best for xbox games? The Sony 36"
CRT HDTV...hands down IMO. Best bang for your buck!

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

Have you seen this burn in dan? I ask because I was told I would get burn in
on my 65" RPTV and after 5 years and 1000's of gaming hours I have nada. No
burn in...I play lots of sports games too.

"Dan" <mikedan*nospam*@videotron.ca> wrote in message
> If you will be playing games on it, STAY AWAY from plasma. They are very
> susceptible to burn in (health meters, status bars, static maps, etc.)
> "The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> > Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> > buying one or the other tomorrow.
> >
> > Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
> >
> > Cheers

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.xbox,aus.dvd (More info?)

"The Don" <the_don@home.com.au> wrote in message
> Anyone got some recommondations and opinions to back it up, thinking of
> buying one or the other tomorrow.
>
> Mainly used for DVD and Xbox Games?
>
> Cheers

dlp.

never wears out. great black levels. no burn in.